RE: Alternative SUSTAINABLE Transport Anyone?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by wildernessgal, Jun 28, 2005.

1. wildernessgal

wildernessgal New Member

Well traveled, and now amongst natural beauty in t
    Was just thinkin about the price of gas and how it's going up, up, and away!!! Does anyone here have it within themselves to ditch their vehicle for reliable/affordable transport ? I'm talkin' four legged critters which the only thing ya need to put in 'em is PASTURE! I don't know about you, but I am getting VERY VERY CLOSE to opting for this sustainable alternative as I can't stand supporting wasteful badly built over priced garbage vehicles.
    Wildernessgal

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheSubsistentSurvivalistHomestead/

2. IwannaFarm

IwannaFarm Well-Known Member

was thinking of that just today, but don't know how feasible or legal it would be. I mean, I can't imagine driving a horse & buggy to my local grocery store, parking it, and running in for a few groceries....

Not even sure they'd be allowed inside town limits, you know?

3. QBVII

QBVII Well-Known Member

Amish do it.......

4. insocal

insocal Well-Known Member

I use my own two feet and my bicycle as alternatives, and there's the bus. Don't think the horse and buggy would go over too well on Ventura Blvd.

5. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Im taking the train to San Juan Capistrano as an experiment today.Just to see whats up.Going to the Mission,then to either San Clemente or Laguna Nigel by bus for a beach trip.

I want to see whats really out there alt. transportation wise.

BooBoo

6. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I'm going to try the horse and saddle idea myself. The buggy would make it more dangerous on our winding road since cars don't pay attention to the speed limit. I'm also going to raise livestock for the table and raise veggies and fruits, produce milk, butter, cheese, eggs to reduce my needs on external supplies. I figure a bimonthly trip to the store for somestaples and indulgences (coffee) should be okay. Of course that would mean my horses should be shod so that is an extra expense. Still just ideas in the making, nothing I can call a plan yet but I want to ditch the insurance more than the gas cost so I'm pursing the ideas with enthusiasm :)

7. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I am an Amtrak fan for sure. I have taken it from Mountain Grove, Arkansas, to Austin, Texas, more than once.

Also had my picture taken at the "drive through" at the bank on my palomino, too.

I like to walk or bike to town, but I have learned NOT to try to carry a gallon of milk while riding my bike! <SPLOOSH>

:rolleyes:

8. texastami

texastami Zone 7B Supporter

We have been buying used mountain bikes at yard sales in recent months.... We currently have spent $15 on 5 mountain bikes (thats on average $3 each).... in addition to the 4 we already have....

We brought them all in the house, set up BIKE CLINIC in the largest room of the house and we put together together 6 very nice bikes (upgrading current bikes and changing out others) Our goal is to have enough parts and supplies on hand for repairs and have all the same size tires and tubes. DH and DS are trying to make a bike cart so we can haul stuff around with us, and I would love to build a two person bike using the frames we have so our LD son could ride long distance without wearing out so much....

We ride our bikes for most of our travels right now.... I haven't started the van in almost 3 weeks... :) DS runs to the store for me on his bike when I need something... DH will pick up whatever I need on his way home from work... and if the kids and I want to go somewhere we just hop on the bikes in the early morning and go.... (can't bike during the hot TX afternoons!)

I want to get a mule when we move to MO instead of a tractor and plan to have a horse at some point as well... I have always wanted a horse buggy.... but DH is sure we'd get killed by some idiot racing down the road!!

9. kppop

kppop Well-Known Member

Amish around here do it all the time..they ride their buggies where ever they want to go. The stores have special places for them to park and to tie up the horses.

10. kppop

kppop Well-Known Member

I have always wanted a horse buggy.... but DH is sure we'd get killed by some idiot racing down the road!!
    lol dh wants one too..they are really cheap like 3k each. There are quite a bit of car vs buggy accidents around here and they aren't pretty :(

11. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

TexasTami has my heart, lol.
    I've been biking a 10mi round-trip to work, almost daily, since gas topped $2pg.
    Don't let your van sit too long. I drive mine so seldom that I had to give it an expensive tune-up. I may have spent $35 in gas in the past 4-5 months!
    I have a y-frame 21sp Mongoose I ride daily, and a 18sp Huffy Verona as my SUV. It has heavy duty baskets front and rear. Total carrying capacity, three cases of beer.
    Making a 'cruzbike' recumbent too. Have you seen the Rhodescar? Look it up, very nice concept.
    If I could merge a Rhodescar with a Slipstream electric...
    I'd love to ride a donk to work, we have enough Amish traffic for it to be safe, but my factory would never install a corral & water trough.
    Living here is neat. WalMart, Krogers, McDonalds and many other places have hitching posts!
    The only thing missing is decent employment, the town is dying.

12. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

this is a topic that is close to my heart...

however, my job is 21 miles away. if i was able to ride a bike 42 miles round trip every day, or had the time to take a horse that far every day, i'd do it.

unfortunately, those of us that live remotely are pretty much stuck with fast, expensive, gasoline transportation. nearest train station is a 5 hour drive away. nearest city with bus service is 60 miles away.

wish they'd put alt trans in place in this state. i'd use it.

13. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I walk to work but I have been thinking about a pedal powered trike or a small motorcycle with a sidecar to carry groceries & stuff. A small motorcycle with a sidecar would be capable of at least 75mi/gal.

14. palani

palani Well-Known Member

I used to work with a guy who would jog to work and back about once ever two weeks. The reason he didn't do it more often was the distance was about 25 miles one way ... : - )

15. IwannaFarm

Well we don't have any Amish around here, and besides, the roads in New England can be VERY twisty-turny. I can imagine many accidents.

However, the bike thing might be a good idea.

16. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I guess he needed to rest up between Marathons.

17. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Out here on my narrow, windy road I threaten to go bowling for bicycles... I don't mind kids, not even those who are riding to work, but those recreational riders drive me insane! So I guess a bike isn't going to be the way I go, lol!

Since it's too windy and narrow for a bike, a buggy would be even more ridiculous. I'd have to have a pack horse come along with me. And since they'll be eating two bales of hay each per week, plus the cost of shoes, deworming, and tack....the car starts to look more affordable!

18. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

There's a good reason why motor vehicles are more popular than animal-powered transportation. Animals require a LOT more maintainence & attention than motor vehicles. When was the last time that you had to rub down your sweaty car or shovel it's manure out of the garage? Gasoline may cost $2-$3/gal. but how much does it cost to keep a horse?

19. IwannaFarm

Sure, Gas, plus inspections, registrations, mainenance, and the car NEVER seems to be working right...not to mention any payments you might still be making... it adds up.

20. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

we have horses, and a cart. that will be the way of it. hubby is going to see if a friend will let him park our camper, at hois house during the week, if the gas goes higher, and he will stay there. it is a sad thing to think about, but can't afford the gas, so that is what we will have todo. He drives 70 miles a day. so I can't see it any other way, and jobs are hard to come by here.