raw vs.pasteurized

Discussion in 'Goats' started by billooo2, Mar 29, 2005.

1. billooo2

billooo2 Well-Known Member Supporter

I am just wondering how many people drink their milk raw, and how many pasteurize it before drinking it. I bought a pasteurizer, but I have never used it. I just drink it raw.

I live in Ohio, and the Dept. of Ag. is trying to make it illegal to sell raw milk, in any form (except to processors). You used to be able to sell "pet milk," but they are no longer issuing any of those permits.

As I have talked with people who are opposed to this, I have discovered that there is a "movement" that promotes drinking raw milk. I have dicovered there are many benefits to raw milk....due to the fact that pasteurizing destroy most fo the enzymes, immunoglobins, and other beneficial entities.

Just wondered how many drink raw vs. pasteurized??

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

We drink our milk raw. It's much better for you, and it tastes better, and it actually keeps better. Raw milk sours with age. Pasteurized milk rots.

Kathleen

3. sheep tamer

sheep tamer former HT member

Another raw milk family here...of course we feed well, have healthy
    animals and avoid giving any drugs. There was an article in a
    recent Countryside where a goatkeeper said they'd never dream
    of risking their health by drinking raw milk, and another said they
    only drank it raw and they never got sick! (paraphrased) LOL

4. creeklady2000

creeklady2000 Well-Known Member

We drink our milk Raw much better for you that way we dont even buy store bought milk when the goats are milking

5. windyhollowfarm

windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

We drink it raw for human consumption in my family.

However, kids do get it pasturized due to preventing CAE. Even though does are tested negative year after year I still do it due to people arent willing to buy kids raised on raw milk.

Also, it is illegal in Michigan to sell milk for human consumption.

6. Barb Marks

Barb Marks Active Member

We also drink our milk raw. Very healthy, very fresh (never older than 2 days old) and best of all the kids can see where the milk comes from. All our children (7, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1 years old) love it, the baby got weaned from breast to goats milk at 6 months of age. At the moment we have enough for our family supply, hopefully we can keep it up as we really don't want to buy any more hormone injected cow's milk.

7. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

raw. much better tasting. much better for us.

8. TabletopHomestead

TabletopHomestead Well-Known Member

Raw milk here, for drinking, cheesemaking and even yoghurt.

9. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

raw, that is all we drink.

10. greggholmes

greggholmes Member

our state and county is making it easyer for dairies/farms to sell and produce.

county
    http://www1.co.snohomish.wa.us/County_Services/Focus_on_Farming/

state

(1) Milk and milk products for consumption in the raw state shall be bottled or packaged on the farm where produced. Bottling and capping shall be done in a sanitary manner by means of approved equipment *****proposed change to remove next part****and these operations shall be integral in one machine. Caps or cap stock shall be purchased in sanitary containers and kept therein in a clean dry place until used.

(2) All containers enclosing raw milk or any raw milk product shall be plainly labeled or marked with the word "raw" and the name of the producer or packager. The label or mark shall be in letters of a size, kind, and color approved by the director and shall contain no marks or words which are misleading.

11. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Raw for my family, and my goats get RAW milk too! And the dogs and the cat and the chickens. It is illegal in Texas to sell raw goat milk to humans, but there are folks around who will sell it for "dogs". My grown daughter's Medical Doctor told her to go to a goat dairy and tell them she needed milk for her "dog". That's when I took up goatkeeping again. My daughter needed the natural elements in raw goat milk for her health. Long story short, it worked.

12. SherrieT

SherrieT State of Confusion

But where can you buy it?? I'm in Pacific Co and I've been told that it is illegal to sell raw in WA.

13. chas

chas Well-Known Member

Raw milk since the mid 1800 s .Coming over from France we've mostly been farmers at least part time!Same on my mothers German side.