Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found 3 lbs of Virginia raw peanuts and each is huge. I've never used "raw" peanuts before nor have I ever eaten any.

I would appreciate suggestions as to what can be created out of these 3 lbs and the recipies of such would be welcomed. :)

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Dried or green makes a difference. You can boil them in salt water. A pressure cooker works best for that, 35-40 minutes for green, longer for dried. Other than that you can roast them, or shell and add to soups and things. I'm sure others will pipe in.
Edit to add:
Green just means fresh and not dried. You can tell by shelling one and chewing it up. :)

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Every now and then you find a special treat you really enjoy. This week we went to listen to a group of young people performing violin music. They were wonderful. During intermission, homemade treats were sold for a donation and I picked a bag of sugared peanuts. They were so good, nothing like I had eaten before. I make peanut patties and peanut brittle, but these were exceptional. Recipe hound that I am, I hunted down the person who made them, lucky for me, it was a friend of mine ! She graciously agreed to bring me the recipe. I have waited and waited and tonight, at church, she brought it to me. I will definitely use this for Holiday times and in between. Lucky for us, we live in peanut country, so we have lots of nice, fresh peanuts available to us. This is the recipe, shared with love to you. Make it and enjoy !!

Sugared Peanuts

2 cups raw peanuts
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar

Mix peanuts,sugar and water together in heavy saucepan
and boil over medium heat until liquid is almost gone (about
20 minutes). Spread the nuts on a greased cookie sheet and
sprinkle lightly with salt if desired. Bake at 300 degrees for
45 minutes stirring every 15 minutes to separate. Cool on
the cookie sheet. Store in an airtight container.

These are soooooo gooooood ! She said she used a little
more water as she likes to boil hers longer.

·
Premium Member
10,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions and recipe.

These are already shelled; so they are probably dried. They are in a burlap-type bag with both ends sewed well. I am going to use them in the various ways suggested throughout this winter. :)

I remember in past years someone mentioning making peanut brittle with raw/dried peanuts in the microwave. Does anyone know the specifics as to how this is done? (I've never made peanut brittle before but I remember mother's enjoying it.)

I know I need to stay away from sugar; so any recipe I use will not contain this ingredient. How I will make peanut brittle without sugar will be a challenge.

·
Premium Member
10,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GrannyG, thanks for the URL. That sure is a lot of sugar; however, maybe I could limit myself to a bit of that delicious candy each week or even month. (I need to practice restraint anyway.)

Anyone have any other ideas as to how to use these shelled Virginia "jumbo" peanuts?

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,912 Posts
I would try to make something similar to planter's "dry roasted" peanuts. They have like a seasoned salt flavor, and that would avoid sugar.

Also might try roasting some plain and give homemade peanut butter a try. The peanut butter we buy just has peanuts, salt and honey in it.

Mix with dried fruit, seeds and make trail mix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts