raw milk sales in Mich BUSTED

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by SherrieC, Nov 1, 2006.

1. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

2. veme

veme Well-Known Member Supporter

Sherrie -
    Same is happening in Ohio & elsewhere. We have lost our Freedom and have become "Wards" of the State, instead of full Citizens of a Republic with the ability to live our lives as we see fit.

What gets me is the Apple Cider thing. :flame: It is easier to buy Heroin in Butler, Pa than unpasteurized Apple Cider or Raw Milk. Ill informed consumers and Big Government have been the dupes of Big Business.
    People no longer have A CHOICE about what the can eat or drink.

veme

3. SherrieC

Well the Milk thing gets me, I get a number of calls from people looking for raw goats milk, per Dr's Orders, or for a baby. I've sold Two milkers this year one to a family with a child with skin problems, and the other to a family who's child has constant asthma problems when he's not drinking goat milk. they were not show quality so I was glad to see them go to a good home where they'll be appreciated. But Really, were not even allowed to sell eggs anymore in Indiana.

4. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

Seems like overkill on the part of Mich. Dept. of Ag.
    You'd think they were smuggling in drugs or something.

5. SherrieC

Well, all that's missing is 10 years in Prison and then who could tell the difference.

6. veme

Are you kidding??? Now that is outrageous.
    I can see where milk could have some problems depending upon the producer & animal/herd -but eggs? How did eggs get to be a problem?

veme

7. SherrieC

I sell at farmers Markets, and over in Ohio where I also sell they were very Strict about who could and couldnt' sell eggs. In Indiana Last Year, you could sell eggs as long as they were kept cold. Makes sence. I had a big cooler. This winter I bought a bunch of never used new cartons. and found out at the spring farmers market Meeting that Laws and regulations Had changed in Indiana, and we'ld no longer be able to sell eggs.

8. chas

chas Well-Known Member

veme if you're intrested Fishers dairy at the intersection of routes 19 & 422 sells raw cows milk legaly.They aren't quite organic but try to use less sprays and things like that!I get my milk there when i'm not milking goats.
    They get inspected twice as often because of the raw sales!
    I pay $2.60 a gallon in glass jugs.
    Chas

9. palani

palani Well-Known Member

Opinion here -

Folks need to learn what a state is and whether they are in it or not. The problem is not the laws but who the laws are presumed to apply to. Laws are written for those who are subject and obedient.

Look at the word 'municipality'. Because we are all educated we presume that it means the area defined as 'within the city limits'. Check out Bouvier's Law Dictionary - http://www.jusbelli.com/Bouvier/bouvier1856_mul.html

In a similar manner, the STATE OF MICHIGAN is referring to the officers who are managed to manage the affairs of the state.

How in the world can you be in the STATE OF MICHIGAN? . If you are not in the STATE OF MICHIGAN how can you be subject to its' laws?

10. veme

Thanks Chas!
    I didn't know about them. Do they have a sign out or is it obvious? We don't have a milk goat at present & I really miss my own cheese & milk.

Sherrie-

It really ticks me off that "Laws and regulations " get changed without input from the people who will be affected i.e. consumers & producers. Who is making these changes?? The USDA & the PDA (pennsylvania dept. of ag.) are Government agencies that IMHO are out of control and "front men" for Big Agri Business. I'm about ready to begin waging my own private war :hobbyhors
    to restore LIBERTY & CHOICE.

My husband was just saying this morning how he can see a day coming when people will not be able to own livestock. People that already have livestock will be "Grandfathered", but the next generation will have to have "Permits". And when Big Business feels threaten the "Permits will be limited.
    If you had told me 15 years ago about NAIS, Cider, Raw Milk & now eggs(!!!) I would have laughed in your face! But then again, as a Book Dealer, if you had told me 5 years ago that the FBI could today come into my home & search my records of who I sell to & what types of books I sell, I would have thought it was a bad Bruce Willis movie.
    veme

11. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

Sherri--Milk share operation are legal in IN. They went to battle over it in indi---
    Was the michigan a share operation or sales?? It sounded like alarge operation. I do fear the larger ones--alot less capability to personally see to the healthy of each animal. I don't think pasturized milk is good by any means--but the masses want their milk, and producing most anything for the masses makes attention to detail less of an issue. Not that large operations aren't careful--there is just the size issue. I think raw milk should be legalized--but with restrictions to size and bacteria counts. That being said...

(sarcastic) I am so glad to see our tax dollars going to such an important matter. I know we are in a budget crisis, and people are starving and dieing because of no insurance---but at least these folks can't drink raw milk anymore. I'm sure we can all sleep a little better tonight knowing that these horrible smugglers are off the streets.

12. SherrieC

dk_40207 I'ld like some more info on that! I just checked the real milk site today and contacted the guy in charge of trying to get them legal for Indiana. It only says Cow shares are legal, and come on :shrug: they don't hold up in a court of law. A fellow goat owner was busted doing a so called legal cow share, and she no longer has her goats. not saying they confinscated them, I think $$ from milk sales helped to supporst her herd and when that $$ dried up, she prob couldn't afford to feed her goats. Mine are Soap sales supported.

13. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

I think it was the apple family if memory serves:) They are a really big operation outside of indy---they got "busted" and went to court over it, as I recall. There is now a court(or authority) approve milk share aggreement document. I think it is on the realmilk website--but I would have to check... best thing is to do the operation--small and under the radar as much as possible--however if you use the approved legal docs and run it as a "true" animal boarding arangement(ie: these aren't "your" animals anymore)--then legally you should be fine in IN, as far as I have read...we aren't doing one, but hope to someday. You can NEVER call it a "sale" you are simply boarding the animal for the shareholders of that animal. It would probably be best if it was a farm pick-up only, as well, although I know that some folks deliver...
    please forgive my typos---:)

14. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Veme, I've got a supplier for raw cider. It would be quite a drive for you but the cider is worth it. Laurelville Fruit Company on SR 56 in Ohio sells raw cider. They get people coming in from all over the eastern US to buy cider. Price is $4 a gallon in plastic jugs, and sealed caps too. Open 9am to 5pm EST.

Info about half way down this page:
    http://www.pickaway.com/shopping.html

15. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

Oh, no! Not cider! I just had my first taste of real apple cider. It was out of this world. We bought it at the green market in NYC.

And eggs!!!

I did hear a congresscritter say once that people probably should no longer be allowed to grow their own gardens since most people didn't know how to safely grow veggies!! Truth!

In Texas, we just recently took a couple of calves to the locker plant to be processed. We used to get our meat back in a week. We could also take the animals any time we wanted.

Now the USDA must be there to inspect the live animals. The inspector is only there for a couple of hours on Monday morning. If you don't make it then, you wait a week to take your animal. The carcass then must hang for 14 days - new law. I don't have a clue whythey want it to hang - but it must. I know a lot of people like the idea of aged beef - I don't. Now it seems the government is making that decision for me.

Also, there was a time if an animal broke it's leg, you rushed it to the locker plant and they would process before fever set in and you ate the animal. Now that isn't allowed, and an animal cannot be blind - even in one eye - no matter the reason. I am not sure of all the other restrictions - but it is coming.

We are seriously thinking about buying an old refrigerated truck and using it to cool and process our own beef. We have killed pigs and chicken - and my husband has done deer, never beef. I don't know why we couldn't though.

16. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I read the story it is really sad what this country has come to.

17. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I did not read the article, probably would just tick me off anyway. Just wanted to comment since I am in Indiana too. As far as eggs go, from what I know & have read, you can sell them off the farm to people. You can not re-use egg cartons unless you totally block out all of the info on the used ones. I just buy new ones. They do not need to be graded unless you have them marked as large or extra large. My cartons have nothing on them except my farm name. You can sell raw milk for pet use in Indiana according to the RealMilk site. If someone wants to drink the milk with fluffy when they get home, that is not my problem. I mark it for pet use & they know it.

18. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

19. Calico Katie

Calico Katie Well-Known Member Supporter

Interesting comment in the article comparing the raw milk search and seizure with the recent spinach E coli poisonings. If I remember correctly, several people died and many more were terribly sick but not one spinach farm in California was closed.

No one has gotten sick from the raw milk but they're gonna shut that death trap down. Guess it all depends on who has enough money to hire lobbyists and buy a Congressman or two.

20. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I cant sell eggs with out permission at my AR farmers market and it is against the law if they are not refrigerated at the point of sale.