Raw Milk: Safer Than Leafy Green Vegetables!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by barnbilder, Aug 1, 2015.

1. barnbilder

barnbilder Well-Known Member

http://www.natural--living.com/new-science-confirms-raw-milk-is-remarkably-safe.html

Looks like there is some new data out. It's really old data that many people have known for a long time, but now with new packaging. I'm sure someone will come on and start destroying the credentials of the people that published this, but the fact remains, raw milk is safer than fast food salad, by far, despite the active campaign waged for the last 50 years to prove how dangerous it is.

2. njenner

njenner Well-Known Member Supporter

Raw milk is safe until it is not and a child ends up on dialysis - adults can choose but sorry I have to disagree if kids are involved. IF you grew up on a dairy farm drinking raw milk, your entire life-you may be fine but city folks do not have the tolerance for contamination. Louise Pasteur saved Millions of people from dying due to contaminated raw milk. Not my opinion; science fact.....I'm not saying fast food is any safer; and why we don't eat it��

haypoint, cooper101, Raeven and 2 others like this.

3. cooper101

cooper101 Well-Known Member

Our neighbors kids have drank it out of the tank their whole lives. Both of my kids wound up in the hospital with campylobacter food poisoning after drinking their milk. I had a moderate case of the runs. The idea of raw milk is great. I'm not personally taking a chance on it again.

haypoint likes this.
  4. barnbilder

Drinking out of a bulk tank is stupid. The whole premise of a bulk tank is stupid. One cow with one bad quarter can ruin thousands of gallons, or conversely 1 bucket of milk. A fleck of poo slung from a tail can ruin thousands of gallons, or one bucket. I will dump out my bucket, if it is questionable. Hired help forgets to wipe an udder before hooking up the machine, do you think they dump the whole bulk tank? Raw milk could never be safe, at a commercial level. But it is not as unsafe as many choices that are currently allowed. People should be allowed to make up their own minds.

Based on the number of Chrone's cases, I'm not sure that giving children commercial store-bought milk is any better for their welfare than giving them raw milk.

Tabitha, terri9630 and Sumatra like this.
  5. barnbilder

Good hygiene, modern understanding of pathogens, modern refrigeration, and good husbandry would have made Pasteur a jobless bum, if it had been present in his time.

You can't raise cows in a swill hole and without refrigerating the milk and expect to have a good. safe product, even with pasteurization.

6. cooper101

So raw milk is completely safe unless something that could make you sick is in it. ???

Tabitha and haypoint like this.
  7. njenner

Adults can choose all they want. Children cannot. If you want your kids to be one of the 10-15 children on dialysis for life have at it. And This is just in the last 10 years. This borders on the edge of child endangerment.

8. cooper101

Our neighbors run a cow share dairy and produce raw milk. It's their family business (hence a commercial enterprise) and they fill their jars from a bulk tank. How can that be both safer than vegetables but never be safe?

haypoint and RichNC like this.
  9. barnbilder

Big difference between raw milk and raw milk from a bulk tank. 15 kids on dialysis is not much compared to the number of people coming down with Chrone's. Feeding store-bought milk is closer to child endangerment than feeding raw milk. Giving people cultured cow poop from a bulk tank when they have never been exposed to anything is far from scientific evidence of inherent danger, should be more of a no-brainer. There are raw milk dispensers in the more modern countries, just like the high fructose cancer fountains we have here that people rot their obese children's teeth out with.

Sumatra likes this.
  10. barnbilder

Here is an old article on Chrohn's disease,same pathogen as Johne's, which is carried by a high percentage of commercial dairy cows, and may not be able to be killed under modern pasteurization procedures.
    http://www.wnd.com/2004/10/26829/

Sumatra likes this.
  11. gone-a-milkin

gone-a-milkin Well-Known Member Supporter

You are implying that Crohns is caused by pasteurized milk from the bulk tank?

Here is what the Mayo clinic has to say about the possible causes of Crohn's.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/crohns-disease/basics/causes/con-20032061

I will not get into an argument with you on this topic, since I have survived many different types of milk in my life.
    Rather, I am grateful for a country life that allows me the freedom to choose what is right for my family.
    Not everyone has that luxury, unfortunate for them.

haypoint, terri9630 and RichNC like this.
  12. barnbilder

13. barnbilder

I would not consider the mayo clinic to be much of a source.

Maura and Sumatra like this.
  14. gone-a-milkin

gone-a-milkin Well-Known Member Supporter

Point taken.
    You get your info from Natural News and WND.

Feel free to debate to your hearts content.
    Simply show respect to others who may not share your views.

Donna from Mo, haypoint and RichNC like this.
  15. barnbilder

The Mayo clinic is undoubtedly basing their information on tests that were done in a US college, in which the ultra-pasteurized milk samples were accidentally frozen for a while prior to analysis. The scientific question would be, does paratuberculosis persist in ultra-pasteurized milk, not ultra-pasteurized milk that has also been frozen. I wonder which food corporation gave that professor his scholarship? Wonder if his college room-mates work for the USDA?

16. cooper101

So we've concluded that raw milk is safe, but also can never be safe and that everybody is a pawn of some shadowy conspiracy. Based on that knowledge, what should we do? What's your solution to the problem?

njenner likes this.
  17. barnbilder

Drink raw milk. From a known and trusted source. Read research that comes from outside the US. Never take information circulated by the USDA, or FDA seriously. I mean, really, one of them says that lactoferrin, a naturally occurring component of milk, doesn't limit bacterial growth in milk, but the other one licenses it for use on meat and meat handling surfaces, to, get this, limit bacterial growth. How does that work, I wonder?

Conversely, if you have compromised your immune system with a diet of high fructose and partially hydrogenated garbage, to the point that common bacteria can cause a trip to the hospital, maybe you should stay away from anything dairy, or salad, or meat that hasn't been charred.

18. njenner

I'm moving to Ethiopia where the food is "natural" and therefore safer than the US��

19. haypoint

haypoint Well-Known Member Supporter

Charred meat safer, too?
    http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/diet/cooked-meats-fact-sheet
    Milk from trustworthy people free of listeria and campylobacter?
    Europe research is better?
    Sugar compromises your immune system?
    Some forms of fat proven to diminish immune system?
    Johne's causes Crohn's?
    Mayo Clinic is full of lies and Naturalnews is full of truth?
    Dr. Mercola is full of truth?
    Big businesses are bad, small operations are always full of virtue and always do the right thing.?
    You can know more about the safety of raw milk by their honest face than from routine disease and bacteria testing?

I had a thread about raw milk and posted reports from time to time. Most cases of food poisoning from raw milk goes either unreported, cases where Amish or herd-shares want to protect the producers or the evidence is lacking and cannot be verified. In this country raw milk consumption is uncommon. The daily consumption of raw vegetables is common. That sort of thinking makes walking on the moon safer than crossing the street. Then, to admit that a bulk tank is a caldron of disease while milk from trustworthy people is somehow safe is a puzzlement to me.
    So far, every state that has legalized raw milk has seen an increase in reported illnesses from raw milk. Anytime an activity comes out of the shadows you get a better view of the problems.

aoconnor1 likes this.
  20. sweetiepie

sweetiepie Member

I have a family milk cow and I would have to say that I feel completely safer drinking her milk then store bought.
    1.) I know exactly how she is. (Diseases, diet, how she is feeling.)
    2.) We have fresh milk everyday, less than 24 hours old. Anything older, gets given to other animals. Much harder for bacteria to grow.
    3.) No chemicals introduced from the bulk tank, bulk truck, and factory pasturizeation process. Yes they do add cleaning chemicals to the storage of the milk. Do we know what effect that has on us.
    4.) But mostly I have the family cow because my son's allergies are almost non-existent when he drinks raw milk compared to the few months she is dried up for the next lactation. He has less colds, and flu then his classmates. I thought it was just a fluke but the same thing happens every year.

I can not control, how others prepare store bought food but I can do my best here at home. There are recalls all the time on food. It is life, we can get sick or have accidents, we are mortal. I to am glad that I have a choice of what I feel is best for me and my family.

kasilofhome, Tabitha, partndn and 6 others like this.