Raw Milk Question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by DWIGHT DUNCAN, Aug 16, 2005.

1. DWIGHT DUNCAN

DWIGHT DUNCAN Active Member

I recently became informed about the benefits of drinking only non-homogenized milk as well as non-pasteurized milk (raw). Some believe the process of homogenation creates a product that the human body cannot effectively digest, thus high levels of blood cholesterol result.

I found a source of this milk at a local whole foods market. But the cream is clotted at the neck of the bottle. So my question is what is the best way to get this cream dispursed back into the milk? Shaking doesn't seem to work. The cream is too solid.

Also, how do you feel about buying raw milk from the market? The milk I bought is pasteurized as I am not comfortable with raw milk from an unknown source. The warning label on the bottle regarding the hazards of unpasteurized milk led me to put the bottle back and grab the one that was pasteurized. I will try to find a local farmer who sells raw milk and if I feel the operation is sterile, I'll buy from him. I only use a quart a week.

Thanks for your responses.

2. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

You need to have enough room to shake it good. As far as health issue , the grocery store milk farmer still has to have inspections. I would not have a problem buying it. We all drink raw milk. My kids think its bad when we have to buy some :)

3. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

We drink raw milk, from our own goat. When the goat is dry I buy raw cow's milk from a farmer. We have never had a problem. In fact, my dd will have allergy trouble if we use homogenized, pasteurized milk. Just check the source and you shouldn't have any trouble.

Cheryl

4. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Dip that cream off the top and put it in your coffee, whip it, make it into butter or ice cream... I would NEVER buy raw milk at a market. Heck, I wouldn't even buy pasturized milk at a market. I hate buying it at the store but I do occasionally when I'm desparate. I buy from a local farmer after seeing how clean his setup is and talking to him about what he does (but more importantly what he does not) put into his cows. I used to milk my own but found it was way too much work esp since I have such a great source close by. Do be aware that not everyone can handle raw milk. If you try it and start having digestive trouble, you might want to start pasturizing again.

5. chas

chas Well-Known Member

Raw milk is natures way of keeping us healthy with natural antibiotics galore.Pastureized is worse than not drinking any!It seems people that are alergic to milk and or lactose intolerant do very well on the raw milk.
    Chas

6. Skim the cream off and make butter out of it. After removing the butter fat you will have left is what we use to call blue john. Add a culture to the blue john and let it ferment and then you will have buttermilk. You get 3 products out of the milk!

7. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I've drunk gallons of farm fresh raw milk, and can't say it ever negatively affected me. Now I wouldn't go around saying I'm not a little different, just I've yet to suffer from fresh food poisoning.

8. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

Wow!! I can tell you're not in your golden years yet!! lol My goodness, when I was little we only had pasteurized milk -- didn't have homogenized -- and didn't like homogenized much when it came into vogue, still don't.

So, you have a "clogged" milk bottle, huh?! Well, here's how you fix it. First of all everyone is correct that you can take that cream off the top (THAT's how you tell it isn't homogenized!) and use it in coffee, or whip it, make butter, cheese, cottage cheese, clotted cream, etc., if you have enough "top milk" to do it.

But if you just want to mix it up, take the cap off the bottle, take a table knife and stick it in the top of the bottle and kind of stir the knife around in there until you loosen up the heavy cream and it begins to blend in with the milk. THEN put the top back on the bottle - tight! - and turn the bottle upside down and shake like crazy (it's good exercise!). You might want to stand over the sink while you're doing this until you get the hang of things. It's just like shaking up a mixed drink; or frozen juice concentrate in water. I've known how to do this since I was less than 3 years old! You young'uns sure missed out on a lot when you were growin' up!

Have you checked the label on the "raw" milk to see if it says it's "certified"? In some states there are some dairies whose cleanliness apparently ranks right up there with godliness and they are certified by the state and allowed to sell raw milk - usually at a health food store or co-op or some such outlet. I think a few may even sell it right from the farm. Anyway, if the raw milk is "certified", it will say so right on the container.

Wish I could find a source around here! Good luck with unclogging the milk bottles!

MaryNY

9. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

I got a real kick out of the thought of finding someone with a sterile farm..... Heavens! I wouldn't drink anything from a sterile farm. I want clean as in not dirty. If it is sterile, you might as well go ahead and buy the pasturized milk. LOL!!
    Tana Mc

10. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Notwithstanding the fact that humans are the ONLY species that drinks milk after they are weaned - a completely unnatural and unnecessary practice that has been instigated for decades by the dairy industry. And notwithstanding the fact that there has been a lot of evidence floating around for a long time that the calcium in milk is totally bound up in casein thus making it completely inaccessible and unusuable by the human body. And notwithstanding that it has also been shown that HOMOGENIZED milk contributes significantly to arteriosclorosis. If I ever even considered drinking the stuff, it would most definitely and assuredly be raw milk, nothwithstanding the fact that you can't buy raw milk in Missouri, thanks to well-meaning but clueless politicians who have made it illegal.

Ah American Freedom - don't you just love it?

donsgal

11. Orville

Orville Well-Known Member

Who doesn't want a sterile milking operation? The dairy farmers I grew up with thought it was very important. The only time I saw one of the old farmers get upset was when I tracked cow manure into the milk house. At least I think he was upset....he chased me with a milking strap. (The wide strap which goes over the cow)

12. cottoneyedjim

cottoneyedjim New Member

Sorry, but I have to disagree, although I know this is a common belief.
    Lots of animals will consume milk after weaning age if its given to them.
    They just don't have the opportunity to get it for themselves.
    It seems more likely that nature "weans" animals for the benefit of the lactating female who is building up her body for the next reproduction cycle.
    Milk doesn't just suddenly become bad for them at a certain age.
    And Life saving dairy foods have been keeping our ancestors alive long before there was any industry. The family cow or goat was a life or death precious thing.

13. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

I hear this "humans are the only species that drink milk" argument from time to time and am always mystified by the logic. Since we are the only species with the intellect to procur food and keep it, not to mention opposable thumbs to be able to do so many of the things we do, would they advocate that we revert to living hand to mouth off of the day's kill? If not, then the reasoning seems specious.

By the way, ants milk certain varieties of bugs and take that back to their groups. I also believe they don't bother to pasteurize it.

14. yarrow

yarrow Ages Ago Acres Nubians Supporter

---------------------------------------
    hmmmm... not legal?? that's not how I understand it. I think the state involvement is aimed mainly at **GRADED dairies**, not individual farmers with a few milk cows... I know EVERYONE around here that has more raw milk then their own family can use, sells it off the farm (along with butter, cream ect.) Not a drop of store bought/pasturized/dead milk ever comes into my kitchen.

from www.realmilk.com
    (((hummm, just read the second part of the below laws. Sounds like you can even have it delivered!)))
    MISSOURI
    Summary:

Raw milk sales are legal, both on the farm and by delivery from the farmer to the consumer. Farmers must obtain a permit from the state in order to be able to sell raw milk and must have state approved bottling equipment on the premises. Customers cannot bring their own containers. In addition, farmers must comply with state labeling regulations for retail raw milk and raw milk products.

According to the Missouri Department of Agriculture, there are no licensed retail raw milk producers in the state at the present time.

Missouri Statutes
    TITLE XII PUBLIC HEALTH AND WELFARE
    Chapter 196 FOOD, DRUGS AND TOBACCO
    FLUID MILK AND FLUID MILK PRODUCTS

196.935. State milk inspection required on all graded fluid milk or milk products pasteurization required, exception.

No person shall sell, offer for sale, expose for sale, transport, or deliver any graded fluid milk or graded fluid milk products in this state unless the milk or milk products are graded and produced, transported, processed, manufactured, distributed, labeled and sold under state milk inspection and the same has also been produced or pasteurized as required by a regulation authorized by section 196.939 and under proper permits issued thereunder. Only pasteurized graded fluid milk and fluid milk products as defined in subdivision (3) of section 196.931 shall be sold to the final consumer, or to restaurants, soda fountains, grocery stores, or similar establishments; except an individual may purchase and have delivered to him for his own use raw milk or cream from a farm.

Missouri Regulations
    Title 2 DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
    Division 80 State Milk Board
    Chapter 3 Production and Distribution of Grade A Retail Raw Milk and Milk Products

2 CSR 80-3.030 Permits

1) Every producer-distributor producing and distributing Grade A retail raw milk under terms of these regulations shall secure a permit from the state authority. Only a person who complies with the requirements of these regulations shall be entitled to receive and retain such a permit. Permits shall not be transferable with respect to persons, locations, or both.

2 CSR 80-3.070 The Grading of Milk and Milk Products

PURPOSE: This rule provides standards which Grade A retail raw milk and milk products must meet. This rule was previously known as Section 7.

25. Bottling and capping. Milk and milk products not for pasteurization shall be bottled on the farm where produced. Bottling and capping shall be done in a sanitary manner by means of approved equipment and these operations shall be integral in one (1) machine. Caps or cap stock shall be purchased in sanitary containers and shall be kept in a clean, dry place until used.

2 CSR 80-3.040 Labeling

PURPOSE: This rule provides regulations for the proper labeling of Grade A retail raw milk or milk products. This rule was previously known as Section 4.

(1) All bottles and other containers enclosing milk, skim milk or cream as defined in 2 CSR 80-3.010 shall be plainly labeled with the name of the contents as given in the definition of these regulations; the word raw; the grade of the contents; and the name and address of the producer-distributor.

(2) The label shall be in letters of an approved size, kind and color, and shall contain no marks or words which are misleading.

15. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

You obviously have not met my pig, Spammy Jo; my dogs, Duke, Indy and Lucy; my cats (too many to list by name) or my Holstein cow, Twister, who, if given the opportunity, will drink her own milk!

16. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

The 'milk' that ants get from aphids isn't exactly milk. :eek:

The 'humans are the only creatures that drink milk after weaning' is valid. Digestive systems change as an organism ages. Just because you can eat something and feed it to your critters doesn't mean it's GOOD for you or them.

The logical thing is for you to do what works for you. If milk upsets your innards, don't drink it. :clap:

17. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

SNORT. Oh my, I just spit coffee on the computer screen. LOL.

18. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Sadly, no. It's illegal in many states. :confused: In Maryland, you can't sell raw milk for human consumption at all. Supposedly, you can't even sell it for animal consumption, but I can't find that in writing anywhere. Same with any dairy product, cheese, yogurt, butter. Nada. Can't do it legally. It stinks.

19. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

You must have missed the post with a picture of a Tamworth hog stealing milk from a Holstein in the field. Most animals will happily drink milk if given an opportunity. Here on my place, that list includes chickens, ducks, goats, dogs, cats, pigs, and my horse when she can get to it before the pigs do.

20. yarrow

yarrow Ages Ago Acres Nubians Supporter

homebirtha...I'm so sorry you live in a no sale state. I know there are MANY of them, with laws just like yours. Donsgal mentioned it was prohibited in Missouri. Part of our reason for our choosing to live here in the Ozarks were the more liberal laws concerning raw milk/farm fresh eggs and such. On the off chance I was WRONG, about my understanding of the MO. raw milk laws, I looked it up and just wanted to pass it on to Donsgal... :D