Raw Milk (NY info), those interested

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JeffNY, Apr 3, 2005.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Well, we did our research, we received a packet in the mail from Albany, and my mother did talk to an inspector. Raw milk sales is not hard, if you do not mind monthly inspections, tests for e-coli, and other things. If they detect any disease they skull and bones against (know what I mean?), they will shut you down. You can only sell off the farm, directly to a person. But in general, it isn't hard to abide by the rules. IMO, with that extra bit of money per cwt, it is worth it. Figure $40.00, gross earnings per cwt. Now they do reccomend that you find a market before going forth with selling, because you need to sell it, right? :). One other idea aside from raw milk, think about pastuerizing, and selling to co-ops. There is a farm in VT, they have 30 cows, and make some good cash. In fact, their ice cream they can't keep on the shelves, high demand. It does cost money to do more, like I mentioned (pastuerizing), but you could target stores...

Jeff

2. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

Thanks Jeff,
    did you find anything online that tells you what you have to actually do to get a raw milk licence in NY, and also how the milking area needs to get set up specifically for our State ? It's something I'd like to read about and consider in the future.

Carol K

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Nothing I know online. But the license would be issued after the inspector passes you, and I beleive your milk is tested free of the disease that will deny you. The best bet, since there is detailed info. Call up the dept of ag in Albany, NY. Request information on raw milk. Funny, the same booklet also applies to regular milk, it covers all the basis. The raw milk market is up to you, seeing if there will be people to buy your product. Put out a feeler, see if anyone is interested. I will do this, because I don't want to setup anything to bottle, and find, NO MARKET :).

Jeff