Raw milk article

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by misspony, Apr 5, 2005.

1. misspony

misspony New Member

2. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

The more I read about the demand for raw milk and the laws preventing it, the more I'm convinced it's a money issue brought on buy the big dairy businesses.

Just recently in Virginia, there was a bill to outlaw the sale of raw milk. In the end, as I understood it, a law was passed preventing the sale of raw milk from more than 3 cows on a single farm.

Think of the logic here:
    Raw milk in Virginia is concidered unsafe, but raw milk can be sold from a limit of three cows in spite of the alleged health risks. It seems the selling the raw milk from three cows is safe, but the sale of raw milk from four cows is deadly.

What if one farm has three Dexters giving 2 gallons each per day, or 6 gallons each day for market, but the farm next door has three Holsteins giving 12 gallons each per day, or 36 gallons for the market. Apparently 36 gallons of Holstein milk is no more deadly than 6 gallons of Dexter milk. :confused:

What if every small farm Virginia with space for three milk cows and the inclination to sell raw milk did so. More than likely these little crofts could supply the dairy needs of the entire state of Virginia; should all of these people want raw milk. So why such a strange law?

It comes down to big business, big investments, subsidies, monopolies and propaganda; the almighty dollar is telling us what is healthy what is not.

I have people who come to Wolf Cairn Moor who are shocked that we raise, butcher, and eat rabbits. They feel the same way about our meat chickens, and oddly a percentage of people think that a farm fresh egg is a health risk, or minimumly "unclean." The looks we received over butchering and wrapping our own beef were to die for.

How far we have come in so short a space of time. An hundred years ago if it wasn't farm fresh most folks wouldn't touch it, but today if it doesn't come wrapped in plaz-tique the Grandchildren of yesterday's farmers just turn up their noses in horror. :bash:

One of our friends from France came over a few years back for a visit and took a trip to the grocery store with us. He asked about many items, but constantly asked "how do you know it is fresh?" This was because the oder of everything was sealed pastic.

It seems that in America people have come to believe that if it hasn't been embalmed it isn't safe to eat or drink. Propaganda rules.

3. Maria

Maria Well-Known Member

That article said this:
    Now that's just plain silly. Whether or not the milk is pasturized has nothing to do with how much room is in the mouth! My youngest daughter has been drinking raw milk since she was 4 years old, and had so little room in her mouth for her adult teeth, that she HAD to have orthodontic work. The teeth would have been coming out on top of each other, otherwise!

Presence or absence of tooth brushes does not affect the bone structure of the jaw. :rolleyes:

4. pygmywombat

pygmywombat Well-Known Member

They were referring to research Price conducted on primative cultures who were still eating their natural diet, nothing to do with raw milk, everything to do with eating biologically appropriate, nutriet dense foods.

Look at the Weston A. Price Foundations website.

www.westonaprice.org

5. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Haggis made a good point "big buisness against it" (not exact quote of course, but in general). Get this, in Hoards Dairymen there is this article that says they are going to, or might raise the limit for SCC to 750,000. They say "It's still safe". Why is this being done? I will guarentee you the reasoning, because it makes it easier to get more milk to the market. Who drives that? The milk companies, same companies making a killing selling milk to the stores, and the farmer gets less. I find it interesting, no license required for selling syrup. Yet if I were to sell pastuerized milk, I would need a license. The syrup industry isn't massive, it is once per year, run by individuals for the most part, any sugar shack I know of is individually owned and operated. Either way, raw milk licenses are understandable, but selling it in a store? Can't do that here, and I will gaurentee it is because someone complained, and it stopped. Either way, ask yourself. How many old timers drank raw milk? How many are around? Either way, raw milk is safe, if that persons operation is clean. We sold it in 1993 or so, and no one had any complaints, they loved it. Anything restricted, is because some big voice spoke out against it. If the big voiced wanted to sell it, OK OK GO FOR IT :). It's like the latest thing with organic farming, some guy wanted to curb the rules, and feed non-organic grain. Funny, it was considered, good thing it was put down.

Jeff

6. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

The limit for SCC is currenlty 750,000. What they are going to do is lower it to 500,000 over the next couple of years.

It definitely is a big business deal with the raw milk legislation, though what some people want is kinda scary.

If raw milk does become legal in Ohio, I hope there are some basic guidelines. I realize the people buying should be aware of what goes on on the farm they purchase from, but if it is legal, not everyone is going to make taht extra effort and it could be that they get sick drinking raw milk from someone in it simply for the money.

I wanted to sell raw goat's milk since we have goats, but I was picking my brain trying to figure out how I approached it so that it would be up to the Grade A stadnards we use for our dairy cattle. That was when I had hoped that a goat share program would work in Ohio.....huh-unh..no go.

7. Homestead Mom

Homestead Mom Member

The size of your daughter's jaws was determined by your nutrition before she was born. According to the work of Weston Price, if your daughter continues to drink raw milk and eat healthy foods, it should positively impact the size of the jaws of her children. Once processed foods were introduced in a society, Price found subsequent generations would have a narrowing of the face and more trouble with crowded and bad teeth. By the way, I don't mean this negatively against you at all, it's the food we have all been raised with, so we all see the same things in our children. I can certainly see where my own nutrition has resulted in less than optimum results in my own children.