Raw Logs?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by SouthernThunder, Apr 9, 2005.

1. SouthernThunder

SouthernThunder Well-Known Member

I'm lookin to build a log house and was wondering if anyone knew of a good source of unpeeled raw logs in or around Oklahoma. I'm not looking for "D" logs or those milled things. I would like to find some nice pine or something tall and relatively straight and then draw knife it. I'm thinking my best bet is Arkansas. There isn't anything in our phone book here in NE OKlahoma under "Loggers".

2. Travis in Louisiana

Travis in Louisiana Clinton, Louisiana

Go to Google.com and do a search for "timbers for log homes". You are probably not going to be able to find a place that will sell you raw logs with the bark on them unless you go to a logger in your area. There are places that will sell you logs for your home, but they will be kiln dried and have the bark off them. They will also be milled to either a round or square "D" or whatever log pattern you would like. After you do the search in google, there is a place down the list that sells only the logs, after they are milled. They sell no plans or kits. Just go to each search hit on the list and you will see. I think the place is called "Wholesale logs". Hope this helps.

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

http:www.forestryforum.com/ Here is the Best website for ALL things wood that you will find IMHO !..fordy.. :)

4. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Things to consider----------
    The best time and the EASIEST time tp peel pine logs is in the spring when the sap is fresh and they have NOT been cut for very long.

The longer a log lays before peeling, the more apt the wood will be likely to discolor from assorted fungi that grows in the moist area under the bark.
    And that fungal discoloration pretty much invades the whole log--and it very difficult to bleach or remove.
    This isn't a problem for wood that will be stained anyway--------but for our indoor stairway and loft railings we didn't stain.

And if the log drys for too long---the job of peeling that log increases exponentially.
    A spring-time fresh cut log will peel like a banana if peeled within a day or two.
    A few weeks later..........NO thank-you!

If you want to do the peeling-------I suggest you take some time off from all other commitments and be close by so you can peel these logs in a timely manner---------

5. xbeeman412

xbeeman412 Well-Known Member

What diameter are You looking for? Do they need to be pine? How many are You looking for? We have 120 acres of wooded land ,Oak and Hickory that are 10 to 12 inches diameter and would selectively let You cut some and load them out for You. You would need to look at what We have and come to terms on a reasonable price. They could be cut anytime of the year that You would like,as long as You do the cutting. We have a full time family living on the farm and only are there May to December.

Let Us know if this would be what is in Your plans.

God Bless.