Raw Goat Milk?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mwtslf23, Jul 6, 2006.

1. mwtslf23

mwtslf23 Texan in Ohio

Does anyone out there know of a source for raw goats milk in or near Galion, OH? I would greatly appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.

Mike and Shanna

2. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

I'm sorry, I don't know. I live in Michigan, and I heard it was illegal to sell raw milk for human consumption. I'm not sure, and like I said, I live in Michigan, so I don't know what you guys do in Ohio. Good luck, though! :) :)

3. valhalladad

valhalladad Active Member

The best idea I have for you is to go to some fairs and talk to the goat people. I also don't know the laws in Ohio, but here in PA we had to sell it as pet food. Most goat breeders do it this way. You must be very careful who you buy from. I had a certified and accedited herd so I felt it was safe. I was also doing DHIA testing so I knew my milk was safe. Make sure the source is clean and the animals look healthy.

4. rootsandwings

rootsandwings Well-Known Member Supporter

it's illegal to sell to you in ohio.

5. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

You can sell raw milk for human consumption in Pennsylvania. You just have to sell it directly off the farm, i.e. you can't have a health food store sell it. But it's perfectly legal to sell direct to consumers.

Here's a link with quite a few contacts who sell raw milk in Ohio.
    http://www.realmilk.com/where4.html#oh

6. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

I am in MI and it is illegal to 'sell' here too. But i did find someone who was willing to 'trade' raw goats milk for our eggs....does that count?? :shrug: Trading isn't 'selling' right? ;)

7. NYSaanen

NYSaanen Well-Known Member

Typically, when speaking of "selling" in the laws, it would include selling, giving, trading, etc......

Now, if these people came by your place to drop off eggs in your fridge, and"stole" milk out of your fridge, that would be a different story altogether!

Many places only allow sale of milk for animal consumption......
    Last I knew, I was considered an animal! LOL