rats

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by logdog365, Dec 22, 2006.

  1. logdog365

    logdog365 Active Member

    Messages:
    28
    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2006
    is there a rat poison that will not kill dogs and cats if they eat a poisoned rat ? i hate traps and we have so many in the barn i think they get most of hte feed in the bunks
     
  2. Ford8N

    Ford8N Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    318
    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2006
    Location:
    Sauk County, WI

    Get yourself a Jack Russel Terrier. ;-)

    I dont poison mice even in the house because I am afraid that I will unintentionally kill a hawk, cat or some other predator that I dont want to harm. I usually just trap everything. Rodents seem to be attracted to the smell of peanut butter.
     

  3. cricket

    cricket Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,991
    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2004
    Location:
    South, South Alabama
    Coke in a bowl...
     
  4. GREENCOUNTYPETE

    GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

    Messages:
    8,226
    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2006
    Location:
    WISCONSIN
    cabin fever had posted a while back a bout a bucket trap for mice
    maybe a barrel trap fot rats

    the mouse trap was a bucket with a lenght of broom handle accross it and the broom handel went through a soup can and the bait was suspended above the soup can they would crawl across the can the can rotates on the broom handle and they fall in and drownd a ramp is placed from the ground up to the broom handle so they can get up easy

    in that thread started with better mouse trap and went through posoin but they were all concerned about thier cats getting poisioned mice and no one in that thread had any posions they thought were ok to use with cats around.
     
  5. amwitched

    amwitched Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,178
    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2004
    Location:
    Texas

    Can you elaborate? How does this do the job?
     
  6. MullersLaneFarm

    MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    10,220
    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2004
    Location:
    NW-IL Fiber Enabler
    We use poison for mice and rats. We've never had a dogs, cats, or poultry harmed if eating the dead vermin. You need to change out the poison bait to a different kind every week or so.
     
  7. foxtrapper

    foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

    Messages:
    3,693
    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2003
    The concentration in the rat is too low to kill a cat or dog. If you notice even the zoos use poison stations in the predator areas.
     
  8. Ford8N

    Ford8N Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    318
    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2006
    Location:
    Sauk County, WI
    What about hawks and owls?
     
  9. MullersLaneFarm

    MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    10,220
    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2004
    Location:
    NW-IL Fiber Enabler
    Don't know about hawks and owls but they don't bother our chickens, turkeys, ducks or peafowl (our chickens are out best mousers)
     
  10. ldc

    ldc Well-Known Member Supporter

    Messages:
    2,421
    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2006
    Location:
    S. Louisiana
    The local rodent control officer for my parish told me all current poisons would kill my pets if they ate a corpse that had taken the poison bait. FYI. ldc
     
  11. GoatLove

    GoatLove Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    896
    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2006
    Location:
    Maryland
    I second that :)
     
  12. pancho

    pancho Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    12,448
    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2006
    Most of the rat and mouse poison made today does not do secondary poisoning. An animal can eat a mouse or rat killed by the poison and not be hurt. Look on the package, there will be a warning about secondary poisoning. It isn't a very good idea to feed dead rats and mice to animals but they will not be harmed by most poisons.
     
  13. vallyfarm

    vallyfarm Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    479
    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2006
    Location:
    Upstate NY
    If you can find their holes, try tossing 4-5 mothballs down them and then cover the holes. The fumes will settle down the burrows and gas out the little buggers. They may dig out and kick out the mothballs, but after a few days the rodents will be dead in their holes, or have left. Either way, nothing for your dog to eat, poison,or varmit. Mike