Rats!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tallpines, Nov 19, 2006.

1. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

How do you GET them?

Son brought a couple of small Conabear traps over and FINALLY -- we got our first RAT! But still have many more to go.

We've been afraid to use poison for fear for our pets.

How do you get rid of them?

2. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

It takes time, keep trapping them. I have had a few Big rats in and around my chicken feed and in the chicken pen. I got two kittens a few months back---they are about 1/2 grown now----One had her first rat that I know of last night--------I pulled up about the time she caught him------a few minutes later she had him about 1/2 eaten-----the rat was about the size of a adult ground mold. I was glad to see her with it-----The other cat was trying to check it out but the cat was being fussy protecting her rat--LOL. Good Luck!! Randy

3. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

Rat Terrier. She's a killing machine and doesn't crap in the garden.

4. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

Coke in a bowl. Leave where they can get to it and then be prepared to clean up the carnage. It makes them explode.

5. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

6. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

We have dumb rats. They drown themselves in the goats' water buckets. :shrug:

And I think the barn cats might get one or two. :)

7. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

Cricket;
    Are you kidding?! Not that I don't believe you, just got be a bit wide-eyed this morning....

8. mwhit

mwhit Well-Known Member

I've never heard of that either... I have heard that plaster of paris will kill them (it hardens inside) but I've never heard the coke thing!!

9. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Only thing I heard concerning coke is mixing it with golden malrin flybait.

10. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

We use poison and take advantage of a rat's natural curiousity and inability to pass up a hole.

Construct a small box with rat sized hole cut out the side. On a piece of board, nail 2 nails to wedge the bait. Put the box over the bait board and put it where the rats travel.

They will go inside the hole, find 'food', eat peacefully and go die.

11. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

My first thought is have you removed there hiding places?? What about junk piles?? And are you cleaning up any left over feeds?? .You will need to do that ,Because for ever Rat you see there are dozens you don't. So please check the area and close off any and All holes With hardware cloth. And then remove any places they can breed. A rat breeds at 3 months of age. and can have 12 litters A year of 8-12 at A time. So Sanatation is needed. I Am not saying you are not trying already to elevate the areas that the hide in.

12. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

Buy a few corn snakes and release them in the barn. I promise you the snakes will clear the mice out first then they get big enough, they'll eat the rats.

13. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

No, I'm really not kidding. My dd did this...an exterminator told her to do it. The rats all took off for water and exploded in the neighbor's yards....she lived in the city at the time. She says it's pretty gruesome. I've also heard of mixing with the malrin but that's toxic to everything. It will kill flys byt the gazillions though.