Rats

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tnborn, Oct 24, 2005.

1. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

I didn't mean rats as in darn. I mean rats, big rats look like the size of squirrles. They have taken over our camper. We haven't used it in 5years tho. Ther're no food or anything that i would think those nasty things would eat. They have gnawed the curtains, cushions, and have built nest everywhere. I started today cleaning it out. But, I stopped dead in my tracks. There it was a huge rat looking at my through the cabinet. I freaked. Also, I don't like snakes and there were snake skins in those nest. :help:
    I am hopefully clean it out and then, trade it to a calf or something that I can use. Any suggestions about the rats would be helpful.
    thanks,
    tnborn

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Baits might help. Also take and try the bucket method to drown them, Use A 5-10 gallon bucket about 1/2 full of water put a can on A wire then smear with peanut butter, The vermin go up to the can ,Then fall into the water ,Just remember that the bucket needs to be deeper than the rat is tall.

3. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

just a word of caution cleaning up rat pellets. They can cause a respiratory infection that, if misdiagnosed, can kill you. :nono:

My wolf dog loves to catch rats. He never eats them, just licks 'em like a popcicle then leaves them for me to dispose of. :( eeeeeeeeeeewwww

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

just read an article this morning on some group looking to protect the rat! :stars: :bash: we use bromone when the cats can not keep up with the rats but first clean up all the rat feed that we can find. seems to kill off the rats and because we feed our barn cats they don't go for carrion. hope the crows like a good feed of dead rat! if you have rats in the camper they are probably else where too,see one don,t see the hudred behind it :eek:

5. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

I freak over rats... feed em the best poison I can find, called just one bite, I think it is the same stuff ford major uses... I would burn the thing. yep, rats are NASTY and carry lots of diseases... DH got deathly ill trying to clean up after them once, nearly died from a ravenous respritory disease. He was well one day, almost dead 2 days later. We dont mess with rats anymore.
    Anything I think they may have touched I spray down with bleach....
    ick. I HATE THEM. Dont think they will be distinct anytime soon..... any movement to save the rat is INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Be sure your problem is just rats.

The rats may be riding the coat tails of other critters. Usually they are not the breaking and entering type. Could be you have something like chipmunks as the prime B & E critters or maybe even squirrels too. They love to chew holes if none exist. Once holes are available rats may move in too.

If there is no source of chow in there should be relatively easy to catch the rats with baited traps. The chips and squirrels tend to bring their own chow and really know how to make a mess.

I had a shed that had a similar problem. They got in about every winter no matter what I did. Would just about gnaw thru 1/4" steel plate, they always managed to find a way. It could also be mice that are active too. Nothing like a nice dry place to start the next rodent jungle.

Would start trapping and see exactly what is in there. Yup, got to be careful breathing air or touching things where a place has been badly infected with rodents.

7. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Rather sounds like the rats were only using the camper for lodging, doing the damage to collect nest material. Yep, you probably have them in all of our outbuildings if you look close enough.

Before you start trapping hook the camper up and then go inside and make lots of noise. See if you can drive out as many as possible. Then move the camper as far from where it was at as practical. Of course, the ones you drive out will go somewhere.

Something else to consider to put a bucket with bleach in the camper and then, holding your breath, dump in ammonia. Get outside immediately. Let sit a couple of days and then air out (without going inside if possible).

8. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Thanks every one. I just emptied out the kitchen drawers. I have washed my hands with soap. I tried not to touch anything. I tried to take something and rake the nest out. I was in there about 5 minutes if that long. To be honest, I am not sure that wasn't a squirrel. I am still going with rat. Oh, it is still in the same family.I wish I could just trade it as is and let the othr people clean it out :D I know, in reality it wouldn't bring anything so I may try later to clean it.
    tnborn

9. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

RVs and mice go hand in hand.We keep about 5 sticky traps laying around all the time,and a couple in the engine compartment.Buggers did some real electrical engine damage to me,never again!Seems if they see a dead comrade,they dont stick around.
    Oh,make sure you pick up all the traps before cats come in.Alcohol will remove the trap from your very upset and ANGRY kitty. :flame:

BooBoo

10. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

11. dmckean44

dmckean44 Well-Known Member

I've never tried this but I've heard equal parts corn meal and plaster of paris works well (make sure they also have drinking water).

12. Arborethic

Arborethic Well-Known Member

Rats are nothing more than skinny-tailed squirrels. Most people can't tell the difference in stew meat. LOL...

The snakeskins were gathered for nesting material. If you had a healthy Rat Snake around, then you'd have no rats. If you don't like rats, then get a Rat Terrier....

13. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Food and water must be nearby. They will live in the food or as near it as possible. Check your garbage area. If you have animals, they may be making the trip to your animal food. If you control the food and water you will make an impact.

Rats tend to follow the same path over and over, and if you really start looking, you'll find their pathways. Snap traps should go in the pathways, but they can break your finger, so be careful.

Rats, and mice, have oily fur and like to rub against something as they run along. Look for a darkened stain on base boards and edges and holes for pathway clues.

Rats like to eat all their food in one spot if possible, usually a corner. Their droppings are a solid clue about where they dine. Pull out drawers and move appliances. Be sure they are rat droppings, not mice. (much larger, but smaller than a squirrel's) They will bring food to their favorite dining spot if possible. If you decide to use a poison, the block or bar baits are better, but secure them with a wire or nail so the critter must take a bite.

Pipes, wires, and branches are all possible highways.

Limit your risk of hantavirus by dampening droppings with a bleach and water mixture before cleanup. 5 water to 1 bleach. Don't vacuum.

Glue boards can be made if you buy the glue. The store bought versions are not as good. It comes in a gallon bucket. I just posted about this on another thread.

Good luck, and be persistant or you won't win.