Rats Part II (caught the lil' beggar last night!)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by steve-in-kville, Dec 17, 2005.

1. steve-in-kville

steve-in-kville Raised Bed Artist

One of my snap traps caught the rat in question last night. I was gonna got out to the farm supply store and buy a live trap. Just before I was gonna leave, I checked a trap in our pantry that had been snapped... sure enough, a light gray critter deader than dead!!

So my question is, can there be more than one? I always was told that with mice, if there's one, there's more. Should I keep trapping?

Thanks!!

steve

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

I think it would not be A bad idea to leave A few out for a couple weeks to make sure, By the way how did it get in??? You need to seal up any holes they can get in thru.

3. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Yes! Rats reproduce like wildfire. A couple of years ago we were a little late putting rat bait under our house - when we finally put it out there must have been tons of them. I never smelled such a stink, it was like a cow had died under our house! It lasted for weeks.
    Keep trapping...

4. OD

OD Well-Known Member

We had a whole tribe living in this house a few years ago. I set a trap one night,(I thought there was one, or maybe two), & in a few minutes, it snapped. Removed mouse, reset trap, sat down to watch TV, another snap. We caught nine that night, & over a few days, we got over 20.
    I have no idea how they got in. This is a new house, & I was very careful to cover up any holes or cracks that I found when we finished the inside.
    Some snakes are staying under there now, & I haven't seen a mouse since they moved in.
    Now, if they just don't find the mouses' way in the house, everything will be fine. :rolleyes:

5. steve-in-kville

I have no clue. There could be a hundred little places in our old house.

steve

6. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

I was told there's no such thing as one mouse, or one rat...

7. steve-in-kville

I'm gonna keep putting the traps out every night, until I no longer find them snapped... or we don't hear anything running around in the ceiling.

steve

8. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

Old farmer's saying

"For every rat you see, there are a dozen you have not seen."

9. DixyDoodle

DixyDoodle stranger than fiction

...or heard! LOL

Yep, I would keep that trap out and set and in the meanwhile, seal every hole and crack you can find in the house. I went through two cans of that expanding foam sealant in our old house. Especially check behind boxes in closets and other hidden areas (behind the fridge, stove, etc)...places that might not be very obvious. Seal all those little cracks around plumbing (under the kitchen/bath sink), pipes in the basement, etc.

Glad you caught him! :)

DD

10. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Yep, there are more.

I've said it before, I'll say it again... spend the $20 and try the ultrasonic mouse repeller things. Going on 3 months, and no more rodents of any kind... KNOCK ON WOOD!!!