rather disgusting

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by romancemelisa, Sep 16, 2004.

1. romancemelisa

romancemelisa Well-Known Member

will be going to live in my cousin mobile home, my husband informed me last night that the last time we were up there that he noticed the sewage is just being spilled on the ground, question the kids and i will only be in the trailer by are self for 6 months so do not want to have septic system installed on her land when we'll have to put one on on our land, what are some temporary and sanitary solutions to this problem ? we have little money so it will have to be a cheap solution. lisa

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

In some places my hubby travels with the military, the solution is to route the waste into a metal drum, and burn it regularly. Not pleasant, but perhaps safer than on-ground spillage.

Perhaps an outhouse? Dig it yourself, labour intensive, $ cheap.

You may need to check local laws on what's permissible. Or you may prefer to figure something out and leave the law out of it! :eek: :haha:

Depending on how long the place has been unoccupied, you may want to treat the ground where it has been spilling as well. I'm not sure how. Maybe fence it off to keep the kids out, if you can't treat it. If it's been long enough that the old waste is composted, it'd be a different story.

Good luck,
    Meg :)

3. romancemelisa

romancemelisa Well-Known Member

has only been empty for 4 mo. i was thinking of using sulphur, my g.mother used it for everyting or about lye?

4. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

5. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Plan A: I'd go with neither.. waste will decompose naturally if it is allowed to. Your solution kills the natural bacteria that makes that happen. I'd spread shavings and or straw over the site, being right careful where I stepped(!) and then fence it off from the kids. Plant some cattails in there if it is really soggy. You have to assume your waste will continue to go into that area unless you take steps to route it elsewhere and I'd be loath to do that... expense, probably permits required, and why bother if it isn't yours? But I'd also be VERY conservative with water use.

Then, I'd put a pan outside the door and a bottle of bleach. If someone gets into the muck, wash and disinfect the shoes on the spot.

Plan B: (some digging required): if you can find the outflow pipe there is a plastic septic system called Infiltrator Systems Inc which makes a plastic system for a leach field called an Equalizer. We use these things on both houses and they are fantastic. Can be installed in a few hours by the homeowner. But you'll need some place to put that contaminated dirt, and the job probably requires a backhoe or bobcat. If someone in the family has one, great. If they don't.. see above. One section of Infiltrator costs us $85 and handles our house (2 people) and another section handles our cottage (3). Our house has a washing machine... the cottage does not.

T

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I agree with covering the area in straw. It will absorb some of the excess moisture in the area and isolate it from flies and hopefully from the children as well as controlling odor. But I would use a sawdust bucket for the toilet and minimize any greywater running out.

7. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

We were sort of in this boat when I was a kid.

My dad built an outhouse.

While our house was being built, we were to live in Grandma and Grandpa's house while they spent their summer in their lake cabin. But Grandpa had a stroke and the folks had to scramble.

They set up a rented house trailer near the building site. We trucked in water and used an outhouse.

Later when we got a well, my dad hooked up the running water in the trailer and dug a cesspool for the wastewater. It was nasty and my mom about had a heart attack when my brother fell in!

Hope all goes well!
    Ann

8. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

You are assuming they have a working septic tank in their system. The Infiltrators are (perhaps nice) add-ons for a leach field, but you need the tank first.

I have a very old camping book that describes using a big garbage barrel or 55 drum burried in the ground, and a perferated line going away from it to make a summer cabin septic system. Probably works ok if one watches amount of water going through it. Of course, there are huge regulations for septic systems almost everywhere, and one can't occupy the house unless the septic is up to current code.

(That last sentence is a hint to _not_ ask the local authorities about it......)

--->Paul

9. booga

booga Member

What i would suggest if probably against code in most places, but how about digging a hole further out, running a longer pipe to it, cover it with some wood and hay bales just for looks. Wait for the current area to dry out, then till it up and plant grass on it. Dont ask the authorities if its okay, cause it probably aint. Also seperate the toilets from the rest, only run the toilets to the hole if possible, run the rest on the ground far away from the hole as not to fill it. When you leave, fill the hole.

10. Gayle in LA

Gayle in LA Well-Known Member

If ever there was a need for a sawdust bucket potty and recycling of greywater, this is it.

11. cyotha

cyotha New Member

People used to use lime in outhouses to keep the smell down. You may want to throw some on that sewage spot if it's stinky.

I hope you will not be getting your water from a well that might have been contaminated by "humanure" runoff.

12. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

The book, "Solviva" has some very good solutions to your problem. You should be able to buy it used via Amazon. The author had a limited budget, as well as, a philosophy toward elegant solutions to the sewage problems in her area.

Sandi

13. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

The infiltrator chambers only replace the rock in a standard septic system. With these, you still need a septic tank, distribution pipe and a distribution box.

14. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

cheap fix....... 5 gallon bucket, small garbage bags....... double bagged, and hauled to the dumpster....... there is a couple dumpsters i havent dived in for years cause the people who moved in here have been dispensing waste in them for awhile.....

and btw, generally this is not leagal, therefore, never put any papers inside with your name on it.....

Otherwise dig a hole. add a couple pallets for screen/privacy walls, a couple straw bales to keep the wind down, and a cover over the seat to keep the snow off...... crude but also keeps the mounties from checking your dung heap out and ticketing you.

William

15. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

:haha: :haha: :haha: yuck :haha: :haha: :haha: