Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep rat/mouse poison in my outbuildings away from the house. My backyard is fenced behind my house. My Mini-Pins killed a Rat playing on my deck this summer--then, on my night cameras, I watched another one play around, was carrying apples to where he had made a hole under house. I set a trap, caught him. I was always under the impression that where you saw one-there were many more. Its been several weeks, I havent seen any more on deck or back yard. I hate to put bait under the house, afraid of secondary poison. SO--what do you guess?? Have they moved out? So I can close their access now?

T

·
0 Posts
Rodents are like roaches, if they've found a way in and you see one - chances ARE that there are a bunch. That said, if you catch them before they've had time to colonize, you may just have the onesie/twosies... If it has been a little while and you see no proof of occupation - I would seal it up tight and move on.

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
On the farms around here the rats are always found close to their food source which is usually the corn crib, anywhere the feed is stored, etc. Your rat was maybe trying to lay in a food supply for a new place under your house. Maybe you discouraged it at just the right time. You can cross fingers and toes and hope that's the case. I'd go on and seal the house.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Sure, close the access. There's no point in leaving it open otherwise it's an open invitation for some other pest. If they're still there and you close it they'll just make another access somewhere else anyway and you'll have to start over again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts