Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have one, and do they work? I've got a real rat problem going and was wondering if this really was "a better mousetrap". They are kind of pricey.

Thanks!

Jennifer

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I have one, doesn't work at all. :-(

Alice in Virginia

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
They are a waste of time and money and only give disappointment. To eliminate the rats you must prevent them from having a safe harbor place to live and breed. Are the rats living under a concrete slab or structure?

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Alice and Agmantoo. Yes, they are under a slab of concrete where some poultry are. Perfect as far as they are concerned since they have feed and water available just when they want it, with perfect protection from me and the dogs. I don't want to use poison in this are due to the poultry. I have had some luck with drowning some of them by keeping a 4 gallon pail half full inside where the birds are. The birds can drink from it, but at night when the rats come out some of the juveniles will climb in and not be able to get back out. But this is a hit or miss deal. The last thing I was thinking of doing is enclosing an area inside where the poultry are and putting some kind of trap in there (hence question about the rat zapper) but with the poultry feed there I don't know how to bait a trap. Seems like a rat would be just plain stupid to eat bait when the poultry have thrown so much feed around.

Any ideas?

Jennifer

·
Banned
4,808 Posts
ok write this down;

rats can see. they can see a trap. if they cant see the trap but smell goodies they will be slightly careless and thats the edge you need.

heres how I trap sneeky rats, it works every time.

get a cardboard box, a small one about 1 foot cubed.

in the box set one or 2 rat traps, baited wth melted chocholate on the trigger. it sticks and they haveto gnaw it to get t off and whap they are dead.

now cut a SMALL rat sized hole (2x2 inches about) in one corner.

cover the box with hay or a something.

now wait.

youll get a rat for each bite, t( Ihave watched them) they will sniff around the hole at the yummy smell, and be wary of the hole to ?????

in time the smell will get to be to much and they will dart in to try and grab the food and run off, an darting into a dark room is..... well you try it.

my theory is they lunge for the bait and dont see the trap.

this really works.
my uncle jim had rats coming in his store after a flood, and he (the hardware guy) had a rat zapper and a live trap and glue strips.... no dice.

I set out 4 cardboard boxes and in an hour we had 4 rats.
the next morning he had 4 more.

try it. it works.

but sitting on the porch with a scoped 22 and a pan of dog food under a light works better.

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
I know how to prevent the rats from using the slab and no chemicals are required. It will take some sweat and some reasonable expense. This is not hearsay. I have used the method and it positively works. The work is to dig a 3 feet wide by 4 inch deep trench around the entire slab. Obtain from a quarry enough washed stone the diameter of of a small chicken egg to fill the trench. Once the trench is filled with the stone the rats will cease to have access to the slab. They are not able to move the rocks and they are not smart enough to go to the outer edge to start their digging. This will completely cut the rats access to the safety of living under the slab. The rats will not remain where they have no a place to hide.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
I had rats under a slab. My solution was to plug every hole, but one, and put a concrete block on them. Ran a water hose down the last hole put a block on it and turned on the water. It took a while but I let it run until water was seeping out of every hole. Don't know how many were down there but they made an awful stench for a few days.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
We had rats, and like I said tried the rat catcher, no good. Then we got a good cat. Now no more rats!! lol
Now we did have few cats before this one and they just couldnt seem to do the job. This girl is great. I tell her a mouse a day and you can stay!!!
So far she has listened!!!

Alice in virginia

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Get a 5 gallon bucket (or trash can). Fill it halfway with water (enough where the rats cannot stand up or jump out).

Just above the water line, smear some peanut butter.

Take a plank and lean it against the lip of the trashcan or bucket. The rats now have a rampway to the pool and will jump in to get at the peanut butter. Eventually they will tire of treading water and, you know...

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chocolate and peanut butter, huh? I wonder if I were a rat in a former life? :)

OK, thanks, everyone. Those are all good ideas. Looks like the rat zapper idea has been zapped. I'll check for rat traps when I get to a store again, and will try the peanut butter in the pail trick, too. I'm not sure if I want to try flooding under the slab, but it might be worth having water running all over to get rid of them.

One way or another they have to go!

Jennifer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts