Rat Traps

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Reauxman, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

I am interested in making a few of these. I figure I can make them with 1"X1/2" wire, a door of the same and springs. I am still not sure how I can get the door to stay hooked until the rat tugs the string. Any ideas? I'm probably just overthinking it, here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

What about looking at the repeater traps they use for Quail?? and incorperate the cage area into one .Just MT every day that might work..

3. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

If your trying to live-trap the rats get a large coffee can and a conventional rat trap. Mount the rat trap with the trigger inside the can and only as far into the can as the bail attachment. Place a wire/hardware cloth on the bail the size of the opening of the can. Put some bait in the can and set the trap.....works great!

4. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

Catching live doesn't realy matter. Figure it would be easier to set a few of these, and in the morning toss them in a bucket of water and empty without having to touch the nasty things. We are running a rabbit box and catch a rat daily. This has been going on for 3 years. There is a real big problem. Luckily I don't live where my barn is, but I don't want them around forever. Trying to put a large dint in them at least. They have it made, a barn full of hay, a southern climate without freezing weather in winter and a water supply 10 feet from the barn. Some look as if they have mange, hence I'd raher not touch them.