Rat shot

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Doc, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member Supporter

I was talking to one of my colleagues about my fox predator problem with my poultry, and he told me to get a 22 rifle and fill it with "rat shot". Said it wouldn't kill the rascals but it would gain their respect.

Anyone know of this? -- it could be the answer.

2. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

Probably referring to 'bird shot', tiny little pellets like a mini-shotgun. We used to use it decades ago; probably still out there somewhere.

3. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Well-Known Member

Why bother? If you have need to shoot a predator, shoot to kill. If you're using a .22, get .22 long rifle (if thats what you're chambered for) in hollow points. Rat shot is very fine lead shot that's useless at anything but short range.

4. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Bladesmith on this one ... rat shot is useless at anything except short range. The only thing you'd accomplish is maybe scaring the fox with the rather puny noise of the .22 rat shot.

5. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I've been told by two different gunsmiths that it is hard on the rifling and is a quick way to thoroughly wreck a fine target barrel. This topic came up when I had my Remington 513T MatchMaster in the shop for some accuracy work. The gunsmith specifically pleaded with me to never use mini-shot shells in my rifle. I bought some of that stuff as a kid.... CCI made it I believe. I thought I had really found something special but found it was pretty much worthless.

6. BertaBurtonLake

BertaBurtonLake Well-Known Member

I agree with Quint and his gunsmiths. Rat shot is not good for anything except maybe using a box of it for a doorstop. It will foul and scar a rifle barrel and jam the breech more times then not.

If you are having a fox problem with your poultry, I would respectfully suggest that you shoot to kill.

Warm regards and good luck

~Berta

7. tim1253

tim1253 Well-Known Member

I totally agree on the advice you're getting here about the value of rat shot in a 22 for a fox problem. Quite frankly, the odds of your catching the fox in a situation where you have the opportunity to shoot it with any kind of a 22...with rat shot or Long Rifle shell...are pretty small in my opinion. We used rat shot in woodsy areas in north Florida in pistols for rattler protection...it works well in that environment. Even there a shotgun would have been better but you can't hold a chain saw with one hand and a shotgun in the other. I would suggest that your best chance at a shot at your fox is with a shotgun.

Good luck,

Tim
    Knoxville, TN

8. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

There must still be some market for the stuff as I see CCI still makes it:
    http://www.cci-ammunition.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=3&pg=18&prod_id=9

Not to bash CCI in the .22 rimfire department though. Their Green Tag stuff can get some respectable groups out of my rifle. Not the best but good for practice and plinking.
    http://www.cci-ammunition.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=3&pg=18&prod_id=3

The Ely Tenex does about the best in my rifle but the Federal Ultra Match comes in a close second. I had some Luapa (sp?) midas? stuff once that was fantastic but I never was able to find it again.

9. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

.22 rat shot has it's place. Particularly, shoot rats or snakes at close range. I use it, and it's fine for that.

For shooting a fox at more than 40 feet, you'll miss and won't do anything. Use a bullet.

10. steveaust

steveaust Member

A cocky farmer up the road tells me the best way to catch a fox around your chooks is to tie a dead chook to a stake and then surround it with rabbit traps.I dont think peta would approve though.They make shot cartridges in various calibres to suit your handguns as well as rifle but you are far better to kill the buggers outright with the gun or poison of your choice, in australia it is 1080.

11. GRHE

GRHE Mountain Ogre

Around us it is called snake shot, and that is its us in my opinion, snakes in close quarters. I am a firm believer in trying non-lethal methods when possible, fencing, electric, passive deterrents, etc., but have always believe in handling weapons the way my grandfather taught me. If you pick up a gun, intend to use it. Do not point at anything you do not intend to shoot. Do not shoot at anything you do not intend to kill. Gun are to drop what you are shooting at, not to scare them, they are far too dangerous to use in manners other than as designed. Just an opinion, so take it for what it's worth, but if you choose that shooting is best in your case, then shoot to kill.