raspberry rust help please!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Heartsblood, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Heartsblood

Heartsblood New Member

We are having some trouble with raspberry rust. I've read that the only way to get rid of it is to pull the infected raspberry canes out by the roots and burn them. However, the ground in the patch is currently quite dry and difficult to pull things out of. Should I put the sprinkler on it to loosen the soil or wait until it rains? Any help you could give me with this problem would be appreciated.

2. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

It doesn't appear that rust is so terrible that one needs to destroy the plant roots and all. But I can't see what you're seeing It says heavy infection can stunt young canes seriously, but ordinarily not harmful just noticable. That if the lesions develop sufficiently it can crack the canes thru the winter.

I would just clean up the area very well,, prune the rasberry well yearly (old cane and excessive new cane that prevents air circulation) make sure aphids are not present to spread disease, and let nature takes it course. It seems manageable.

If the bramble is by any other brambles I would reconsider burning it to prevent spread. But if it's your only bramble and no chance to spread why not keep it?

Good luck.