Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My in-laws got me a raspberry bush for Christmas, ordered it then so it would come in time to plant. I finally got it in the ground beginning of this week.

When I got it, it had one root ball and about five canes, I didn't think about it just dug a hole where I thought it would get enough sun. The next day it started to rain, I watched a couple videos of planting raspberries and they had what looked like a root attached to a cane and had spread them along the row. I remember my grandmother had a raspberry bush in the backyard and it just sprawled and that's kinda how I want mine to end up.

But question is did I mess up the planting? Should I have divided it?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
24,262 Posts
No, you didn't mess it up and no, you should not have divided the plant. Raspberry propagation is best done by tip rooting. After flowering and fruiting the canes grow long and droopy. The ends of the canes will touch the ground and produce roots. In a few years you will be pulling raspberries and wondering why you ever wanted them.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The only raspberries I've ever had/seen are mostly vertical and don't droop to the group (probably droopier varieties out there). These types propagate by roots and seeds.

May you have a bounty to come, they're lovely fruit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the encouragement!

I don't know how my grandmother's got so big, but I like how it looked how I remember it anyway. I don't remember her doing anything to it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Black raspberries definitely droop. They're obscenely good at spreading through the ends of their stems when they hit the ground.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I looked up the variety I have, Caroline, and found a lot of mixed reviews. I don't know what to expect. The website I looked at said this variety is a Fall bearing plant and may bear fruit the first Fall after planting. It then said this variety may bear fruit in Summer or Fall depending on how it is cared for.

Does this mean it bears fruit on the old growth? I don't remember. Also I don't understand how it can bear in the Summer if it is a Fall bearing fruit?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
my red raspberries spread by sending out roots. sort of like strawberries do.
my black raspberries do spread by tip rooting.
the only problem is that they appeared out of nowhere, probably from bird droppings. they are growing all around my well casing. at first it was just one shoot. Now it is about 10 feet in diameter. It has thorns on it worse than blackberries.. but the fruit is great.
your grandma did something with hers. otherwise it would have been all over the yard.
You will have to mow around yours to keep it in check. hers was not just one cane, it was several.
each year you have to remove the canes that had fruit that year. the fruit will come on the new canes from the previous year. don't be bashful about thinning the canes. take out all the "dead" ones and any that are too close together.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well, I might have separated the canes if I could have easily done so, without damaging the plant. Just to get a row going. The way you planted, tho is probably still OK. I imagine that they will get themselves-very much going-regardless. Over the years my few canes have filled an entire 50' row and is more than a wide enough stand. We till on either side of it to keep it manageable.

Our soil is quite sandy, and we've pulled easily, countless new plants for others to start their raspberry stands with great success.
In the spring/early summer we might pull out old canes and any weeds that we can get. Other than tilling to keep them in check we don't do anything with them.

I might get a few berries in summer, I don't pay much mind, being so busy w/other things. But, come fall! They produce very heavily. Once your patch gets established you will be picking berries, day after day, for weeks, up till frost, usually. Raspberries are divine! Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Caroline is a fine variety. I have it here, it does have a summer and fall crop which you will likely appreciate.
In the fall or winter you may split the clump up in to Separate plants and start a row, that way they won’t crowd themselves as will likely be the case due to the way you received them.
Don’t do it now unless still dormant.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts