Raspberries not tasting good this year?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by airotciv, Aug 19, 2005.

1. airotciv

airotciv Well-Known Member Supporter

I planted raspberries about 6 years ago, and have had great fruit every year until this year. Not sure what I did wrong, the berries are beautiful, but the fruit has no taste and some even taste, well bad. I mulch with compost in the spring and that is about it. Any help appreciated. Thanks

2. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

Our blackberries were tasteless this year. The elders say it is because the weather has been so dry.

3. mulliganbush

mulliganbush Well-Known Member

I think Gayle's probably right. The water balance at particular times really seems to affect the sugars and 'taste' elements.

Ray

4. airotciv

airotciv Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks, gland to know that it wasn't what I was doing that was wrong. I have to admitt it has been a strange weather year here in the Northwest. So I'll just hope that next year is better. Just means no jam this year, but the strawberries did well, so we have some jam. Thanks again.

5. Hammer

Hammer Active Member

This is the first year I have not had any raspberries. The plants grew better than ever before, but no berries. My friend also had no berries. Blueberries did better than ever. Just part of having a garden I guess.. every year some things do better than others.

6. cathryn

cathryn Well-Known Member

I have a blueberry bush that started off the season with REALLY tart berries. They are getting better, and last year they were fine tasting. Any ideas why this might be?