Raspberries from seed?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Laura Workman, May 5, 2005.

1. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

I got a couple raspberry canes last year (thanks Bergere!), and when we dug them up, we put them in pots in soil from the raspberry patch. This spring, I have lots of tiny seedlings coming up on the surface of the soil that look as though they're probably raspberries. My question is, are raspberries grown from seed the same as the parent stock, or is it more like apples where you have no idea what you'll get and 99 percent are no good?

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

If the red raspberries are growing from seed, it indeed is a 99% chance that the berries will end up quite different from the parent. That's why almost every plant that you buy is from a cutting. I got lucky about 30 years ago when a bird dropped a seed. The result was a decent red berry but not one which I'd go out and pay much money for at a plant nursery. My neighbor had some purple raspberries which were really good. One showed up in another corner of her lot so she left it. Huge fruit, bigger than that of the parent plants, and almost totally tasteless! Hard to say what would come from a seedling here now. I have both red and black while she has purple and blah!

Martin