Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O K With the derth of the Quail and Rabbits in the area. I was thinking I might get A few cottontails and Build them A enclosed yard of oh say 50'X50' and put A few in. Any ideas?? The offspring and Adualts will be released in A few months to help repopulate the wild stocks in the area!!Any ideas?? Thoughts??

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
We have TONS of wild rabbits this year, everyone has remarked about the rabbit population. I drive 1 mile on my road to get to a good road. On any evening drive there will be a dozen along the roadside and usually one+ dead in the road...Joan

·
Registered
387 Posts
Most state wildlife officials will not let you do that. Mostly because the rule they use is if you take away an animals need to adapt you take away their survival. The rabbits will be fed things they would not find redily in the wild. Also they carry diseases that may not survive a enclosed existance. Its just better to let "Nature take its course". But a nice thought.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
More cottontails in this area of New Mexico than I've seen in the past 15 years. It is like it was back when I was a boy in the '50s! :shrug:

I suppose it runs in cycles.....

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
sounds like a colony project. while not easy, it is definitely doable. As orphy pointed out you may have to keep this to yourself. it may be the only way of helping the local population recover. you'll also want to try to hit the predator population.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
You would probably do the local population a lot more good by investing the time and money in habitat restoration.

Build some brush piles, let the fence rows grow up to provide rabbit cover, plant some feed crop for them.

Don't mow, farm, or graze fence to fence, and don't spray, bush hog, or cut every weed and bush on the place. Rabbits have to have cover, some weedy/brushy corners or draws, or someplace with a few briars, and piles in out of the way places can be very productive.

Make it suitable for them and the rabbits will do their thing and amaze you with the increased numbers you will see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts