rare sighting the other day.....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ozarkyehti, Apr 28, 2005.

1. ozarkyehti

ozarkyehti Well-Known Member

While in the woods the other day I saw a totally albino redtail hawk.

It took me by surprise and I had to take a triple look!!!

The next day it was up in our yard on the fence post.

Very beatiful.

They tell me that aprx. 4-5 years ago a black bear was seen on my property, and occasionally you hear of mountain lion/ cougar sightings. Both are unusual for this area of the Missouri Ozarks. I'm only about an hour outside of St. Louis, in the Union-St. Clair area.

Anybody see other rare or unusual wildlife in thier area?

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I hope you have a good camera!

I haven't spotted anything unusual around here, but then, I don't get out much....

Meg

3. gleepish

gleepish Well-Known Member

Didn't they just 'officially' recognize that there were Mountain Lions in Missouri? I live about in the middle of where you are and St. Louis. I heard something about a month or so ago about that and thought to myself, well, DUH! :rolleyes: Frequently down around the boot heel you will hear them scream--man that is a sound that comes straight out of nightmares!

They have also just (last year) documented the pack of coyotes living in Forest Park--everyone knew they were there, but no one could ever get a picture of them! But last year a TV crew was setting up for a report on something else when about six members of the pack crossed a field WAY in the background.

Now, as for our property, nothing really odd or out of the ordinary--a family up the street has an albino peacock but that's about it. There is something in our woods that makes the stranges calls at night--don't know if it is a bird or a frog but it sure sounds strange!

4. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

How cool!

I just saw on my birding listserv that The Nature Conservancy is set to announce today that Ivory-billed woodpeckers, once thought to be extinct, have been confirmed to be living in Arkansas.

5. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

The only weird wildlife we having living around here are of the two-legged variety...bunches of them paying close to $400,000 to live behind us smooshed together like sardines. I'm not sure what the Latin name for them is...I just call them sad.

6. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

We had a Bear until the Conservation Department decided to catch it and send it to Florida :grump:

There has been Moose here in Missouri,been several years since I've seen any.

big rockpile

7. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

I saw a snowy owl two winters ago, it was huge and very beautiful. DH hit a short eared tawny colored owl with the Bravada a few months ago. It got stuck in the grill-very pretty little thing. Both owls are pretty rare in my area.

Last summer we saw a whole flock of turkey buzzards, also unusual for our area.

Bears are fairly common around here, as are bobcats. I haven't been able to catch sight of a bobcat yet tho.

Stacy

8. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I saw some rare "wildlife" this morning...2 hens trying to plump their butts down in the same nest. No fighting, just silent pushing. W/E.

9. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

Get to see Bald Eagles occasionally, coyotes, fox. Saw one of my co-workers actually working the other day. I about had a heart-attack!

10. jlxian

jlxian Also known as Jean Supporter

I hope you can get a picture of the hawk. I bet the local conservation agent would be interested to hear about it too.

I'm in SW MO and you hear about cougars here, but I don't know anyone who has actually seen one.

11. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

I saw a Pileated Woodpecker for the first time off my deck last week. (At least, I'm pretty sure that's what it was- it was GIANT, and I think that's the biggest species of woodpecker.)

A couple years ago at my grandparents' place, I saw a bobcat and 2 cubs when out trail riding- ADORABLE. (I know, I know, wild animals = cute... but baby wild animals don't count :D)

12. bergere

bergere Just living Life

We have lots of wildlife here, Bald Eagles, hawks, falcons, etc..,etc..
    We have a pretty little Falcon pair nesting in the area. The Male has dark Charocal wings, and top of tail, back and head are the color of a bright Robins breast. Then we have a very large Hawk, that is white with black wing tips. Really need to find the bird books we have, that are still packed in boxes.
    Then we have Coyotes, Wolves,Bear, & cougar. :p
    Also have Elk, deer,, you, know the only thing I haven't seen around here is wild Turkeys.
    [​IMG]

13. GRHE

GRHE Mountain Ogre

yehti, if you can get a pic, please post, I think we would all love to see it!

14. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I think they are called Homostupidacea

15. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to see Bigfoot but theres not many here in IN.

16. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Unfortunately, not a rare species.

17. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

That is great and to think I get excited when I see a Cardinal in my yard. We also have some wild bunnies that seem to enjoy our yard, but they don't seem to live there. Oh we do get a large contingent of squirells running around each year but I haven't seen much of them yet this Spring.

That is one of the things I like about the resort we go to each year on vacation. The deer are very used to people there and come quite close to the rooms. Not everyone is as fond of this as we are though. DH had to walk a very large man to his car because he was afraid of the does and their babies grazing in the field next to one of the buildings.lol Apparantly he wasn't a country boy.

18. tamilee

tamilee Well-Known Member

HI ozarkyehti;
    Cool about the albino redtail hawk. A picture would be great! The only unusual wildlife I've seen lately is a black suirrel with a tiny patch of white near his nose. have seen a few fox squirrels a few years back, but none since the pricey development went in a couple of years old.
    Have a blessed day!
    tamilee

19. tamilee

tamilee Well-Known Member

Hi birdie_poo;
    :haha: Thanks for the laugh.
    tamilee

20. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

Bear, but those aren't "unusual"....
    a couple years ago though, I was riding my bike (pedal kind) and swore to EVERYONE that I talked to it was a cougar. Noooo I was told... there are no cougars in this state. Well, a year later, the DNR officially announced there ARE... and have been spotted in counties surrounding mine. Pfffffht! I knew what it was.
    Bobcats are neat to see, rarly seen, but neat lil creatures. Hares are rare in these parts these days, but saw one while hunting last fall... didn't realise they were so BIG.

Kaza