Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why why why can't they put the size of the belt in the manual at an absolute minimum and with the half dozen decals and stickers why not put the belt size right on the belt guard.

was cleaning up some rows the other day with the tiller

bang and I was ho longer moving forward

this belt has lived plenty long probably 12 years

I go to the manual no indication of the size of the belt a nice diagram of how you remove it , a maintenance schedule that states it should be replaced at what would amount to about every other year. but no belt size. I measure what is left of the old belt 26 1/2 so I buy a 26 figuring that is it and this belt had streched.

well it was not a 26 , it is a 27

and the Napa part number is now written on the belt guard

·
Registered
40 Posts
Because then you would be more inclined to fix it yourself, instead of bringing it to an overpriced service place.
I agree

·
Premium Member
15,650 Posts
why why why can't they put the size of the belt in the manual at an absolute minimum and with the half dozen decals and stickers why not put the belt size right on the belt guard.

I go to the manual no indication of the size of the belt a nice diagram of how you remove it , a maintenance schedule that states it should be replaced at what would amount to about every other year. but no belt size. I measure what is left of the old belt 26 1/2 so I buy a 26 figuring that is it and this belt had streched.

I write important information on things now too. It's so much faster than trying to look it up or find the manual.

·
Premium Member
17,906 Posts
Whenever I buy a piece of equipment, I find the owners manual, service manual, parts list on the internet. I download the information to a special folder on my computer. If I need a belt, I find the manufacturers part number for the belt. Then, I google that part number. I will generally find numberous sites that sell OEM or knock off belts. Many of these internet sale sites will give you the dimensions of the particular belt. One of my favorite websites for this is https://www.jackssmallengines.com/

·
Registered
1,147 Posts

I had the exact same problem with my craftsman rear tine tiller a few years back. Back and forth twice to the hardware store 12 miles one way. That 52" belt size in now written on the belt cover in paint stick and written next to the part number in the manual.

·
Uncertified Master Chief Village Idiot
1,917 Posts
Just be glad it's a standard size belt. Mine uses a 26.5" belt which no one in town stocks. I normally order two at the time so I always have a spare...'cause it never breaks at a convenient time!

·
Super Moderator
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just be glad it's a standard size belt. Mine uses a 26.5" belt which no one in town stocks. I normally order two at the time so I always have a spare...'cause it never breaks at a convenient time!
I use Napa because whatever I need they can generally have at 7:30 the next morning if the order is in by close the parts arrive overnight and they delivery driver has a key and puts them in the back of the store.

the longest I have waited on anything in recent time was a trailer hitch that I ordered on Wednesday and it came in Saturday.
I wasn't in a big rush for that.

I have started collecting parts for it , I have a spare inner-tube for the rototiller , only one store around carried that size and when they had only 2 I bought them both and put a big strip of painters tape across the box with what it is for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts