Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I made a mental note to post a couple of things on here this evening. I was cleaning out the linen/bathroom closet, so my thoughts were probably induced by excessive lint and cleaning chemicals:)

Has everyone stored enough sunscreen and bug repellent? I realize these are extras, but they do have a decent shelf life and would make life a little easier if we suddenly found ourselves having to work outside a lot more.

I also thought about picking up a few extra toilet seats for future use (seems like ours only last about 12-18 months before the little bumpers on the underside wear off) and whether it would be a good idea to go ahead and have the septic tank pumped even though we are probably still a year or two away from when we normally would have to have this done. (When the S hits the fan, I want to have plenty of capability to flush whatever flings my way:D)

I am trying to be as proactive as possible and work ahead as much as I can so that if/when trying times are upon me, I will have as few things to worry about as possible and will hopefully be able to focus my concentration on the problems at hand.

My other conclusion, hard though it is to admit it, is that I need to deep clean and inventory every single thing we own. I can throw out the expired, weed out the unnecessary, and will have a much better recall of where things are when we need them if it is fresher in my mind. Anyone else feeling compelled to get their nest in order these days???

·
Incubator Addict
3,111 Posts
I also thought about picking up a few extra toilet seats for future use (seems like ours only last about 12-18 months before the little bumpers on the underside wear off)
Really?! Growing up, I think we had the same toilet seat in the house I grew up in for 15 years. They changed it before the house was put up for sale last year. I think the toilet seat in my grandfather's house is at least 25 to 30 years old, possibly older.

Maybe my family just sits on the toilet more delicately than most?

I've been trying to get everything in order, but right now money is the thing that is most concerning me. I am focusing on setting money aside to pay our mortgage in case of job loss.

Kayleigh

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
I'd just invest in 1 GOOD toilet seat, to replace the crummy ones that keep breaking. My DH is nearly 300 pounds and sits down on things like his legs have collapsed from under him. I cringe when I see him "flop" onto my favorite sofa :( Even with his "sack of potatoes" approach to putting his feet up, he has never broken a toilet seat.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Lately I've been noticing that my house smells dusty. I've been contemplating getting a sponge mop and "moping" the walls with vinegar water to try to make it smell better. I'd like to replace the carpets, or replace them with ceramic tile, but that's not in the near future so I'll just clean, clean, clean, and hope for the best.

I'm also thinking I'll clean out the storage room and put in some cabinets that have been stored out in the bungalow. That'll help me get better organized and know exactly where everything is located.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
I have never thought of extra toilet seats in my preps, but then, I didn't think about mouse traps either.

You don't have to be heavy to break a toilet seat - we had a nylon screw/bolt thing break. Maybe a new toilet seal should be available too?

This is why I come to this area - to meet with thinking people.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I'm still working on my garage, building shelves all along the back wall and building racks up into the rafters to hang our bikes and other things to give more floor space. When this is done, I plan to buy some extra wood to keep on hand. We have a little of this and that, but I want at least four full sheets of good plywood and a few 2x4's and I have the space to store them out of the way.

One thing my DD feels we need more of in our preps is peroxide and alcohol. I always have at least 3 full bottles and a fourth one opened but she thinks we need more. I have bug repellent but probably not enough and ditto on the sunscreen, only two bottles each.

As for toilet seats, we all have big butts and managed to go through three cheap toilet seats in 9 years. I buy the padded ones, so they don't break, but the padding gets flat and the vinyl cracks. I bought a really good one a few months ago and I hope it lasts awhile. I have an emergency toilet set with the bucket, seat and bags so I guess I kinda have a back up.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I have to admit, that's something I hadn't thought of. Extra plumbing supplies. Wax ring for under the toilet. Washers and seals for sinks. Snake for drain lines. Replacement pipe and elbows for repairs. Hmmm. Plastic pipe has to be stored where it is warm, right? My washer drain pipe is plastic. The rest are all copper, and I can store that anywhere. (perferably in the back of a gun locker to deter copper thieves.)

Now you've really got me thinking!

·
tom
606 Posts
i would take one old toity seat and make a "bumper dumper".i have 2.one for the truck,and one for the van as the van takes the smaller receiver.
tom

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Has everyone stored enough sunscreen and bug repellent? I realize these are extras, but they do have a decent shelf life and would make life a little easier if we suddenly found ourselves having to work outside a lot more.
Wooot! I picked up a half dozen cans of Deep Woods Off! a few weeks ago at the supermarket for 75% off for exactly that reason!

I also would like to do some reorganizing and basement cleanup. (Where we keep most of our preps) It's quite clean already, but still needs some attention before the snow flies. :)

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
I'd just invest in 1 GOOD toilet seat, to replace the crummy ones that keep breaking. My DH is nearly 300 pounds and sits down on things like his legs have collapsed from under him. I cringe when I see him "flop" onto my favorite sofa :( Even with his "sack of potatoes" approach to putting his feet up, he has never broken a toilet seat.
My FIL is also a big man, and he flops just like you describe. We've lost several toilet seats over the years, a recliner chair and a table chair. The toilet seat cracked right in half, and although I used wood glue (my favorite right after duct tape) it was just too splintery to be trusted on delicate butts.

I always keep toilet parts on hand (float, stopper, wax seals) but I didn't think about an extra seat. Thanks, Ovsfarm, for the idea.

We've always kept lots and lots of sunscreen and Off! in stock. We lived in tropical countries where we needed them daily, and I've never stopped thinking that way.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Our toilet seats don't actually break, it's just that those little bumper things on the bottom side seem to crack and then start to break off. Perhaps the cleaners I am using are weakening the plastic. I know the seats are of a cheaper quality though, so I may need to buy a couple of good ones to replace them.

Mom of 4, regarding the tropics, do you know if they still recommend the use of salt tablets? When we lived in Florida I kept a bottle in my hurricane preps. I thought that if we had to live there in hot, humid summer weather with no a/c or electric fans that we would probably sweat enough and drink enough water to get our electrolytes out of balance. An elderly neighbor told me that when he was growing up there, they had salt tablets to take if they started feeling achy after sweating more than normal.

If they are still recommended as a non-pharmaceutical intervention, I will probably buy another bottle. Even though we live in Ohio, the summers here are often hotter and more humid than they were down in Florida--no cooling Gulf breezes to make things more tolerable!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Why dont you just repair your toilet seat? I know lowes (because I got them there) has the little bumper things and repacement hinges.
Tom

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Mom of 4, regarding the tropics, do you know if they still recommend the use of salt tablets?
I took a daily salt tablet as a child overseas, but by the 80s they had stopped recommending it because most people get PLENTY of salt in their daily diet. I suppose during survival times, when we are eating beans and rice with only the salt we add ourselves, a salt tablet in a hot climate would be a good thing. Plus they last forever as far as storage goes.

Personally, I have about 200 pounds of iodized and canning salt in my preps, and I wouldn't bother storing tablets in addition.

We also had a weekly quinine tablet when I was a child, to prevent malaria. But that also isn't recommended anymore. They treat malaria once you have it, but don't recommend a preventative. Same thing with the HUGE 10cc hepatitis preventative shots we used to get. Thank God on the last one!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I don't use bug spray or sunscreen now, so I don't see the need to spend precious coin on it for 'someday'. But, that's me and we're all different in what we value.
I have a theory that all ya'll wouldn't wear our your toilet seats so quick if you wasn't doin all of that lid liftin, seat dropping folks are so hot about. I say ride lightly on the porcelain pony and you stay on the same saddle for a looooooong time.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
farmerwilly, there are lots of diseases from mosquitoes that you don't want to get in a survival situation. Or skin cancer....I have fair skinned kids so I slather them on any exposed areas. It's not for someday, it's every day, and rotated and replaced. My farmer FIL never wore sunscreen, and he had a malignant skin cancer taken off his chest a few years ago. They stripped off an area the size of a dollar bill in an area that had never seen the light of the sun.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The next time you need a new toilet seat, look for a Bemis. http://www.bemismfg.com/

They seem to last and last. The one I bought years and years ago was made in USA, so I hope they still are manufacturing them here.

One of the places I clean has Bemis seats on the toilets in the shop men's room. They have taken a beating over the past 25 years and are still there. The white has even worn off, but they have not broken.

·
Registered
97 Posts
When I was growing up we never had to replace the tolite seat either, but it was just mom and me. Now being a mom of 4 boys we have had to replace the lids a couple of times. I think its just the hard wear an tear of flipping and flopping of the lid down.

·
Wasza polska matka
6,912 Posts
there are also natural bug repellants...flies hate basil. a touch of peppermint oil on your sleeve or a crushed fern tucked behind your ear will repel skeeters and no see ums. marigolds are a natural bug and varmint repellant. it a good idea to tuck some marigolds in your vegetable and herb gardens, and have decorative pots of marigold and basil around.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts