Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
This is so sad. My heart goes out to the ranchers. They are seeing devastating loss of stock, and they are, essentially, forced to sell for pennies on the dollar.

And the animals... the drought is making them miserable

Heck, the drought here actually makes me feel sorry for the deer who come to destroy my garden. There is a lot of pressure on the critters...

·
Registered
41,775 Posts
You can buy hamburger for $3 a pound.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
May not have paid attention in geography class, but isn't drought fairly common in Texas?

Reactions: SDLord

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
May not have paid attention in geography class, but isn't drought fairly common in Texas?
Yes, but the severity and extent vary. This one is particularly widespread and they're saying it could beat the worst one on record...I don't know if that's real or media hype, but it's a bad one either way.

The really unpleasant part comes when the drought ends. It's usually not gradual, but floods.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
It's almost as if it would be better management to let large herds of migratory bovines travel through the area and eat the grass and then move on when they ran out, and leave cow farming to folks that live in places where it rains pretty often. If you are only scheduled for rain every month or so, and it's a jillion degrees normally, you don't have to miss but a couple rains and it gets dry.

Reactions: doc-

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I raised cattle for forty years. Raising cattle is pretty dumb to start with, seems like it is only dumber to do it in a place that is prone to intense heat and long periods without rain. Then rush everything off to market at the exact same time that everybody else runs out of grass and has to rush things off to market, because weather trends usually happen over a broad area. That way you all sell cheap.

Reactions: doc-

·
Premium Member
44,337 Posts
It's almost as if it would be better management to let large herds of migratory bovines travel through the area and eat the grass and then move on when they ran out, and leave cow farming to folks that live in places where it rains pretty often. If you are only scheduled for rain every month or so, and it's a jillion degrees normally, you don't have to miss but a couple rains and it gets dry.
That’s pretty much how it’s done today, just smaller herds wandering around on vast amounts of open range land.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
17,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I raised cattle for forty years. Raising cattle is pretty dumb to start with, seems like it is only dumber to do it in a place that is prone to intense heat and long periods without rain. Then rush everything off to market at the exact same time that everybody else runs out of grass and has to rush things off to market, because weather trends usually happen over a broad area. That way you all sell cheap.
What else can they do with the land?

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
What else can they do with the land?
Raise something with a quicker turn around than cows, that comes into production quicker and hits market weight sooner. Of course people want their nasty beef burger dripping in disgusting yellow fat.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts