Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12v solar system idling out at my cattle guard. It used to run a gate, till I built the cattle guard. I want to set up a camera there that
1) records on motion so I can record licence plates and occupant mugs
2) sends an alert to the house and phones.

The house is 1000' away, line of sight. It would be a plus if I can expand the system to monitor other fence lines closer to the house. Laser beam break alert or similar tech.

Got any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
6,231 Posts
Can't answer your question. Just had to say the first thing that crossed my mind on the title of this thread was Hank the Cowdog.

Reactions: RenoHuskerDu

·
Registered
62 Posts
There are phone based game cameras out there. They are motion sensor activated and can take pictures or video. The problem is you have to have a cell plan per camera. I think $100 a year for the plan. If your phone works at the location, so will the camera.

They can be set up to text or email when activated and you can view it from your cell phone.

What i like about it, is if the intruder sees it and destroys it, it probably already sent you the data.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'm not an expert at this but if you want this
a) at the gate
and
b) on your wifi instead of some camera with it's own sim card using a phone plan

I think the issue you will run into is the 1000' range. You could get two of these to bridge the gap https://www.ui.com/airmax/nanostation-ac/ but you'd need to do something like this https://community.ui.com/questions/12-Volts-for-ubnt-devices-/66a70792-191c-4d41-9c65-48a3fdac8e36 to wire it up to your power source.

It might make more sense to get some kind of long range optical zoom cams that you can setup at the house and point to the gate. If you were a computer geek I'd recommend that maybe and motiond installed on a PC to do events based on movement detected (compares one image to the next a few 100ms later) by the security camera. If you're not a geek just ignore that bit.

Probably any security company could set you up with a optical zoom security cam you could setup at the house and point to the gate that does events like that based on motion detected on the camera.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Lorex // Flir has a neat feature, costs a little (lot) more but will post-process a day of video to show ALL triggered encounters sequentially painted on the unchanging background so the review of a days video only takes a minute or so - then chose one date/time stamp to review in detail. This might help not having to trust video will be there if something happens by reviewing it daily in a spare minute or two to see if something is brewing before it happens...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't answer your question. Just had to say the first thing that crossed my mind on the title of this thread was Hank the Cowdog.
LOL, Hank, a dog that views himself as the "Head of Ranch Security" indeed fits the description. Had not heard of him, we raised our kids in France. SpongeBob and Veggie Tales, we know.

·
Registered
407 Posts
1000' for wifi with an outdoor bridge router or access point should be pretty simple depending on terrain. Power would be the most pressing problem. You would need a substantial battery pack and charging capablity. In a perfect world you would be able to run the camera and the router (unless you are using wifi cameras) directly from the battery rather than using an inverter which would save power. Reading license plates is another issue, and generally requires special cameras. Security cameras are an interesting subject. There is a great deal to know about security cameras.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I have a different problem. I want a camera at my front gate but want it hard wired to a monitor in the house. We have wifi but lose the signal several times a day out here in the country. It is 700 ft from the house to the gate. I have contacted several companies and can't find anything. Everybody says to go to wifi. I know the wiring would be expensive but don't care.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have a different problem. I want a camera at my front gate but want it hard wired to a monitor in the house. We have wifi but lose the signal several times a day out here in the country. It is 700 ft from the house to the gate. I have contacted several companies and can't find anything. Everybody says to go to wifi. I know the wiring would be expensive but don't care.

Any ideas?
Living in the country has no effect on WiFi. It may have an effect on your internet connection but WiFi is controlled by you and your network infrastructure. 700 ft is nothing for WiFi with the proper equipment, unless you have hilly terrain or lots of trees and what not. The max length for Cat 5e or 6 is 100m without a repeater so you would need a repeater somewhere in your system if you are going to run a hard line. Most repeaters are POE (power over Ethernet) so that's not a major problem but from the sounds of it you would need one that could handle outdoor installation and that may be harder to come by. You would need something like this - https://www.veracityglobal.com/products/ethernet-and-poe-devices/outreach-max-xt.aspx . If it were me I would use WiFi terrain permitting, unless I was running power to the gate from the house and had to dig the trench anyway.

·
Registered
407 Posts
You have two options really, WiFi or dig. I would try WiFi first. There are a number of outdoor access points and bridge routers that you could try.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.