Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
My name is not Alice
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made these A frame shelters for my goats. I like them because the goats like them and I can tote them from pen to pasture, etc.

Just last weekend I moved the dairy bucks out of our barnyard holding pen, and moved the ram and little ramlets in. The rams don't hang out in the sheds like the bucks do. As far as I know, they have spent every night under the stars.

Do they not like tight shelters? Or do they not like goaty stink? I can certainly understand the latter. ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1414888033.583975.jpg

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
We have multiple shelters for our flock. All 10x 20 with 3 sides enclosed, nice fresh oat straw floors, all sorts of snug and comfy for them to hang out.
The only time we have ever seen them inside of one is when it ether rains, and I mean hard driving rain, or hails.
They normally all bunk down for the night in a hollow in the ground that was dug out to use as a burn pit when we first moved in.
It's about half full of old rotten branches waiting to be torched, but they just all curl up on the other half.
I have no idea why, I just figure it's a sheep thing.:facepalm:

·
Just living Life
8,280 Posts
Mine go under their shelter when we get heavy rain, or snow... or like a few months ago... fist sized hail.
Rest of the time they prefer to be out.

·
Registered
952 Posts
It's wind/rain combo or the sun that drives mine in. Even my ewes with young lambs will only bring them in on really cold nights (my mom used to laugh when I'd come in from evening check and tell her it would freeze heavily tonight..... Not now). For slightly cold nights the babies curl up into their mom's wool and sometimes you will only see a head sticking out. Nothing like a mommy blanket. No need for a shelter except in extremes.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Sheep prefer to be together, some more than others. Those are single cells.

Reactions: hercsmama

·
My name is not Alice
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sheep prefer to be together, some more than others. Those are single cells.
The goats pack in like sardines. That may be another fundamental difference. I don't ever see my sheep piled together in one giant snuggle-fest like I do the goats. The sheep are close, just not all intertwined.

Sounds like they should be fine, though. The south side of the barn has a shed roof running the whole length. The ewes are always under there. I just assumed they had an affinity for cover like goats.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts