Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a crazy question. but can my rams horn grow into his head. The tip of his horn on one side seems like it is growing into his head. Its not touching yet, but its about a finger thickness away. The horns grow from the base right? So the should grow out right?

·
Registered
360 Posts
A ram's horn can most definetely grow into his head. It happens all the time. The ram will suffer a slow, agonizing, maggoty death if the fatal horn isn't closely monitored and kept trimmed.
You can cut the tip off the horn with a coping or camping saw. Feel for the cool tip and cut just below it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A ram's horn can most definetely grow into his head. It happens all the time. The ram will suffer a slow, agonizing, maggoty death if the fatal horn isn't closely monitored and kept trimmed.
You can cut the tip off the horn with a coping or camping saw. Feel for the cool tip and cut just below it.

Thank you. Thats what I was worried about. I have a ewe and a ram and she has finally warmed up to me, but the ram thinks on going to kill him everytime I see him. So me trimmin his horn should put him over the edge. Oh well at lease he will be alive. I will trim it tonight when I get home.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Keep an eye on it too...not only do they grow from the base, but they increase in diameter as well. Horn trimming might not be a one time event with this boy...is he a terminal sire? (all of his lambs destined for freezer camp?) If not, you might want to consider whether he is a keeper or a cull...

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
If the ram is aggressive with you, as well as having poor quality horns, why not send him to freezer camp? Why have the aggrevation when it is so easy to get another ram?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have a ewe and a ram and she has finally warmed up to me, but the ram thinks on going to kill him everytime I see him.
That's a good thing! Let him keep thinking that and you should have no problems from him.
Horn/scur trimming is a two peson job. Have someone hold onto his head very securely, another person does the cutting. Make sure you are cutting into the cool part of the horn.
Wooly is correct that the horn will have to be monitored forever. It keeps on growing from the base. It gets to be a pain in the butt after awhile, I usually end up shipping them to market after I've gotten what I want out of them.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wish I could send him off, but they where a "gift" to my 3 year old boy who thinks they are the greatest thing ever. I raise Angus and when I go down to do chores she is right behind me to take care of his sheep. I love it, and hate it at the same time. He checks their water and gives them hay and grain. Anyways...I trimed it today and all went well. I did it myself, my Brother was supposed to come help, but we are getting some snow so I was alone. once I got him sitting up he dosnt move much so I trimed it fast. I took off about an inch, I didnt want to take to much but I didnt want to have to go it in a week eaither. They are the best thing for keeping my fence line trimed and My son loves them so if thats the only thing I have to do once and a while its no biggie.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts