Ramps

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Caitedid, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Caitedid

Caitedid The Prairie Plate Supporter

Does anyone know where in central Iowa I might be able to get ramps or onions scapes? Missing them already!

2. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

One of our WV businesses sells seed/ramps. Go to rampfarm.com and check 'em out. You can start your own patch, but remember how much shade is required.

3. MarkSykes

MarkSykes Well-Known Member

4. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

gosh , you mean i can sell these things :D LOL
    my best recipe is potato salad with ramps bacon and mustard, its kind of a sweet taste with the ramps , and then the zing from the mustard, i dont know hard to describe other than , everyone eats the heck out of it
    i think its funy here in this area the radio station advertise for the lawn care guys, "we'll kill the onion grass in your lawn "
    what a shame , its so yummy :D
    Beth

5. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

Wow, you mean WVians aren't the only people that eat those things?

Yall are gonna have to come out for rampfest sometime. The whole state stinks for weeks after that though.

Sorry can't help ya find any ramps but I can offer some words of wisdom. Never consume ramps and Budweiser in a poorly ventilated area :haha:

6. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

bethlaf, onion grass is different than ramps. Ramps grow in shade, only are out for about a three week window in the spring, their leaves are very wide and flat. I see onion grass that has chive-like leaves...is that what you are talking about? Ramps are very pungent and distinctive. Because they are short-lived some of us become fairly single minded this time of year. The International Ramp Festival is in Elkins. WV the third weekend of April, complete with cook-off. Can't make it this year, but it sure tastes good there.

7. Caitedid

Wow,a ramp fest? I had a boy invite me to a testy festy (Rocky Mountain oysters) on a first date. Not sure if that was a worse bet than a ramp fest... How about garlic scapes? They're such a beautiful color, and keep well if you food processerize them and pack em in olive oil. Not sure if you could do that with ramps? Have any of you tried anything like that?

8. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

What in heck are ramps? I thought I'd heard of nearly everything.

9. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

wild leeks

10. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

My ramps in the sunnier location are now up about 2 inches, the ones in the woods are usually behind them a week. Getting excited.....

11. Caitedid

That's it, I'm going to give in and find out if there's someone at farmer's market I can get em from. I hate living in the dorms, because I'm basically helpless, it makes me nervous. Anyway, don't care if my roommate complains bout the smell, they'll keep me healthy :)

12. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Didn't I see an article on ramps in the last Backwoods Home or Countryside?

Pony!