ram

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by new, Nov 10, 2004.

1. new

new Guest

I have a 7 month old ram lamb that has one swollen knee joint. He did not hurt it and is not sick in any other visible way, nor is he lame. He is however a very large fast growing ram lamb, that we had hoped to use for breeding some ewes. But, what can I do for his knee? Is it a reason to cull him? What would cause this? Is it Arthritis or would he be lame with that? Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated....

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

How can you be sure he did not injure the joint? It would be my first and best guess. He may have picked up a sliver that has become infected too. You'd need an Xray to determine if it is arthritis but if he is not lame I'd guess not. Is the whole joint swollen or is it on the surface?

3. new

new Guest

It is just surface swelling - sort of like a small pocket in the front of his knee. Not hot to the touch. And, if you feel and look around to the back there is no swelling. And, I'm pretty sure he didn't hurt it, as he has never had pain from it at all - no limping at all. If it was more of an infection, would it feel thicker? When I touch this it feels very watery. He is in the barn in a pen as I was training him for an upcoming show - I guess he won't be able to be shown if I can't get him healed up.

4. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

Why don't you contact your veterinarian. Maybe the vet could aspirate the fluids from the knee and run some tests.

5. new

new Guest

I've been trying to get in contact with him for a few days now. Cows come before sheep out here so hopefully I'll get him soon. Even if he could run the tests as I am capable of drawing a sample out of it for him. I just haven't done it yet as I prefer to speak with him first hand instead of his assistant as she knows less than I do! I was hoping to see if anyone on here had anything similar though while I wait for his call.........