Ram showed up

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Greg, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Greg

Greg Member

A Ram showed up on our property. I think he's a barbado - curved horns and a black face and belly. He seems to like our neighbors horses and we put him in with them. (We don't have good fences + a big dog that scared him.)

We are trying to locate his owner. We have no livestock experience, but may want to keep him if he's unclaimed. He seems very curious about people but he backs off if you go towards him. Our neighbor could only get him to go in their field by leading him with her horse.

Their are coyotes and mountain lions where we live (northern CA foothills).

Any advice on what to do with him if we don't find his owner? If we try + keep him what type of fencing + shelter + does he need company? How do protect him from lions + coyotes? How would we get him to go where we want? Will the dog (lab) bite him?

Thanks

2. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

:D He's MINE! :haha:

just kidding...lol
    Sounds pretty anyway. You don't want him too friendly. Personally, I would keep him as he is. Don't become his friend. Sounds like he's doing a good job of basically taking care of himself.

3. elgordo

elgordo Well-Known Member

Don't worry about trying to befriend him. If he's shy, then you probably won't have to worry much about him getting you from behind!
    I used to raise Barbados, they are excellent foragers, so if you have poison oak etc., they'll help keep it down.
    Good luck on fencing, mine learned to go anywhere they wanted! If you want try electric - just don't let him discover it was turned off one day...
    A friend has a small flock of them on her hillside. They lamb each year, but sadly they have a large predator population, so none have made it to maturity.
    Enjoy him, they are very handsome animals, and since he's a hair sheep - NO SHEARING!

4. HunterTed

HunterTed Rockin B Farm

I raise Barbados and they are very majestic animals. I really don't agree with the fence thing though. Mine never get out and my fences are not that good at all. All mine are dog gentle too. Of course I hand feed all of them. And they ABSOLUTELY LOVE COOKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've even got one ewe that will walk on a leash like a dog.

5. Greg

Greg Member

Thanks for the advice.

But how do I get him to go somewhere I want? I can't get close to him.

6. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

give him dogs biscuts-our barbados love them and will jump on us like a dog to get them.

work with him-get down on his level and take it slow but he should come around and be less cautious.

good luck

7. SilverVista

SilverVista Well-Known Member

Please call the Department of Agriculture and ask for the office of the Brands Inspector. No, obviously, sheep aren't branded, but the Brands Inspector is usually the person in charge of enforcing livestock ownership laws. In most western states livestock law does not allow "finders keepers." Here in Marion County Oregon, an animal must be maintained and the owner sought for 30 days, then it must go through a public sale at the direction of the Brands Inspector so that if an owner turns up later, the purchaser has proof of legal possession. If that all sounds like foolishness, just think of how you would feel if an owner eventually found you, and accused you of rustling. It's a big topic again lately.

8. Greg

Greg Member

I don't think we'll have to take it that far. We put an ad in the paper and someone who lives close by phoned. He says he lent the ram from a friend to mow the grass. Their dogs were chasing the ram and he thinks that's why he ran off.

So he's going back today. I feel like its not the best home for the ram but its not ours and not sure what else to do.

Thanks for all the replies

9. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

well you did what was right anyway. Maybe they would sell it to you...the actual owner that is...you never know.