Ram Question..................

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by HunterTed, Apr 7, 2005.

1. HunterTed

HunterTed Rockin B Farm

After reading the "Danger from Rams" post I have decided to keep my Barbado ram in a seperate pasture. The pasture has entrance to 1/2 of my barn where I feed and there is access for all the ewes to the other 1/2 of the barn. I have a 5 ft welded wire fence seperating the 2 pastures. This way if my wife has to feed when I am out of town she can do so without coming in contact with the ram. He is not mean by any means but he does like to play a little rough (my fault for playing rough with him) and I don't want him to accidentaly hurt her. Also I want to turn in all the ewe lambs back in with the flock that I am keeping. And I have a ewe lamb that is smaller than all the rest that I want to leave on her momma and let the ewe wean her. When I want to breed a ewe I will turn her in with the ram.

My question is..............will the ram get lonely and possibly destructive? Do I need to put another sheep in with him? How many of you keep your rams by themselves?

2. Polly in NNY

Polly in NNY Well-Known Member

When I only had one ram I also had a wether to keep him company. They had a separate pasture for most of the year. During breeding season both boys would go visit the ewes and afterwards they would return together to their bachelor pad.

3. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

I personally try not to keep any animal on their own as most of our domestic species are either herd (cows, sheep) or live in loose family groups (pigs). I keep two rams and they are at present in a paddock with a cryptorchid pet lamb and a month old calf. The calf was another loner and it seemed wiser to give him some sort of company. My bull either runs with cows already in calf or with steers and I keep two boars rather than one so that they have company when not with sows - however, I should also point out that I have enough sows to warrant keeping two boars.

So, to sum up, put another animal with him to stop him getting lonely and bored. Once they have got over their initial fronting up/territorial bit most animals will live together quite amicably.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

4. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

I would get rid of that ram as soon as you could. His playfull behavior will become more destructive as time goes by. I would put either another ram in with him or a ewe, but not an altered male. My bet is the ram will consistantly beat up on the wither more so than if his companion was a ewe.

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I'd try to give him some kind of company. I keep my boys (12 at the moment) in a seperate paddock all summer. There's usually some shoving and butting to sort out things but so long as they are sized about equally there's never been a big problem.

6. bergere

bergere Just living Life

I never had any problems keeping wethers and Rams together. Never had much fighting either, they had what I would call..more like starring contests. <LOL> After breeding season that Ram would be haltered, walked to the Ram pasture and put in. Had no problems, nor any fighting.
    Now, you can't do this with every breed, but with the ones I raised, was no problem.

Found that a Ram alone, without a buddy, tends to get quite a bit more aggressive than ones in a group. So, yes, having a buddy or two for your Ram is the best way to go, IMO.
    Like Ross, I kept my Rams in a different pasture (the Boys pasture) for most of the year.

7. HunterTed

HunterTed Rockin B Farm

Well I am not going to get rid of the ram any time soon. He is perfect IMO and I have spent many hours trying to find him. I guess I will put another sheep in with him to keep him company. Guess it will be a younger ram for now.