Ram face shield?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Meg Z, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Anyone ever use one? I'm thinking about making one for my ram lamb. He's not aggressive, but he's developing this little quirk that could turn into aggression, and I'm thinking the face shield might curb it now.

I have to walk about 75 yards through the pasture to feed, where they currently are. The sheep meet me at the gate. Then I walk. The ram lamb has taken to walking right on my heels, bumping at the bucket, and occasionally at me. He's trying to hurry me up so he can get breakfast, but getting away with being pushy is not a good thing. If I turn to face him, he backs down, but he's started swinging his head at me first, and that's not a good thing.

So, I'm thinking if I put a face shield on him he won't be able to do this. I know they're usually used on aggressive rams, but I'd like to keep him from ever getting aggressive. What do you think? Alternate suggestions? I don't have enough hands to carry a water bottle to squirt him with.

Meg

2. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

I carried the feed bucket full of water a few times.

When the ram got into my space, bumping at the bucket etc, I turned really fast and tossed the water in his face.

If a sheep can look absolutely astounded, he sure did! He spluttered and shook the water off and glared at me with a look that said "I ... I ... I just can't believe you DID that to me!"

Of course, then I had to go out and get the grain and come back again, but it was worth it. Even just to see the look on his face. :)

I did it about three times and he quit bumping at me. It might be worth a try, even if it means an extra trip.

Edited to add: Of note is that my ram is a Southdown - too small to do me much harm even at full tilt (although I do give him quite a bit of extra room in breeding season). I've now got a horned Icelandic, so this summer's job will involve updating the fencing arrangements to allow for all-from-outside-feeding-and-watering, just to be safe.

3. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I have one (ewe) who does that at times. Ive found if I hold the bucket away from my body and a little ahead of me she follows the bucket instead of bumping me. Being the lazy person that I am, I think Id figure out a way to feed them closer to the gate ! LOL

PS: To quote ZZ Top, "Go get yourself some cheap sunglasses"! Hed look really cool then

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Yeah, we're working on that, too. There is a new gate planned that goes right into the feeding area. Won't that be nice!? But it's not there yet!

Meg