Raising worms

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Faith Farm, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Faith Farm

Faith Farm Well-Known Member

Does anyone know a way to raise worms on a massive scale
    which can periodically be spread with compost onto large fields?
    Thanks, Paul

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Hi Paul,
    If I were you, I'de start by doing an archive search of this site on the topic of raising worms. There's lots of previous discussion about it, and good references to sites or books that can help.
    I also like the idea or using worms to help gardening and composting. Redworms seem to be the ideal species for doing that job. You can also do a lot to enhance your garden and sub soil to attract worms already present in your environment. It's astounding as to the amount of worms in nature. They only need the opportunity and reason to be in numbers for an area if they have the nourishment, right moisture, and ecology necessary for their culture there.
    Charles Darwin spent quite a bit of his lifetime interested about the qualities and importance of the earthworm and how they perform. You might check some sources on that, too.

Rich

3. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

Large manure piles will be loaded with red worms.

4. zaf123

zaf123 New Member

5. Beergeek

Beergeek Self-Medicating

6. Hammer

Hammer Active Member

3girls said it pretty good, manure. I have something along the lines of a large scale worm farm going. I can buy manure real cheap. About $15 for 5 to 6 tons delivered. I have a garden that is raised rows and about 30' wide by 100' long. I pile on the manure to the sides of my rows. It has never burned my plants and I have massive amounts of happy worms working in my garden.