Raising "wild" hogs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Mike in Pa, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

Reading a post here I thought of raising some. Not sure where to get them ... maybe a preserve nearby? They would probably grow to a lesser weight and probably eat less (to keep as breeders).
    Do they taste OK? Much different from commercial pork?
    Can they birth themselves? Anything extra I'd have to do to breed?

2. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

Hi Mike...

ummm I dont know about where you are at, but they run wild all over in Texas... one of neighbors trapped a sow and two weaners... we took one of the weaners and fed him up for 6 months on dog food (more protein than pig food) as well as scraps... we butchered him then, and got about 50lbs of meat...

Now the good news... it is the leanest, nicest pork we have ever eaten! almost no fat whatsoever...

As far as your other questions.. I really cant help you with that, I hope someone can

Lynn in Texas

3. Mike in Pa

Thanks Lynn. I have been researching ever since I posted. Found some interesting info. I don't know if I could find someone in TX or KY or somewhere that could send live piglets. I emailed several local "hunting preserves" here in PA to see if they would sell me some and what the cost would be. I know I'd have to upgrade my enclosed area I have for my current domestic pigs.

4. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

Last spring a breeder here in Arkansas was giving away free pigs. He had five and we thought they were domestic pigs, in fact we never thought to ask. They were wild pigs that you find here. He had raised them from babies but the parents were absolutely wild and nuts. They charged us through the fence flinging you know what everywhere. He had three inch steel panels welded together to hold them in with no gate. It was like Fort Knox. To catch the babies he had to climb on top of the housing with a 12' net and catch them as they ran wildly around. They never made it to our house, we took them to a friends and gave them away. These little guys weighed about 10lbs and were the size of a cat yet they charged us nonstop through the cage we put them in. Totally crazy pigs. I would never want to raise them unless it was on a large plot of land (20-40 acres) where I didn't have to mess with them until slaughtering time.

5. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Check out Texasboars.com. That''s a hog hunting forum and a lot of times guys will have hogs that they have caught or trapped for sale on there.

6. Mike in Pa

quail ... too funny! Don't bother me though ... I'd still take them.

tyusclan ... thanks ... I'm trying that now.

Question: Can you breed a wild sow with a domestic boar? How about the other way around?

I'd think I'd almost have to build the poor guy a step stool with the size difference :eek:

7. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

[

Question: Can you breed a wild sow with a domestic boar? How about the other way around?

We have a neighbor that raises them. He has a 5 or so acre enclosure and they pretty much run free. It looks like anywhere from 40 to 100. It kinda irks us off because some always escape and have to be shot. Not that I mind it( probably the only hunting I may do) just wreck havec with everything. Sometimes though the pigs will be spotted black and white from interbreeding with domestic stock. Once saw a large hamp boar out with them once but he didn't last long. All pigs are capable of going wild, and interbreeding. They do taste good but I think that the diet had more to do with it, apples, acorns, dirt, other pigs.

8. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Mike, I rasie wild hogs in Florida. They are basically the same to care for as domestic pigs are. The biggest difference is the adult size of the Russian x domestic aka piney woods rooters and "razorbacks." All of the wild pigs you will find running free are crossed with domestics to some extent. Only zoos and preserves working with purebred stock have the pure Russians (they look like little buffalo). You can breed them together if you want a larger pig- personally I found their size to be the biggest initial attraction. I've had little ones caught at 3- 4 months that charge me (that's why I have dogs working with me) but all of the little ones born here or raised here are tame and manageable. The wildest part they keep is that they may not like to be scratched but they will not charge once they know where the food comes from- not even the boars. the way they are raised determinesThe key is to work with them and be kind. I have to disagree with evermoor on the taste. I raised three domestic dows beofre I got into the wild pigs. Same feed and same pens. the wild pigs have a fuller flavor- it isn't gamey, it just has more pork flavor. flank cuts and ham cuts look like steak, the meat is very red. Makes excellent jerky that people can't tell form beef jerky. I ope that helps. My time has been a little crunched but I'll be glad to help you further on or off the board.

9. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

My experience with wild pigs has been similar to Marcias. I obtained a wild piglet when she was around 4 months of age. The idea was to take her through to porker size - she died naturally at nearly 14 years of age :) She calmed down and became one of the lovliest pigs I have ever owned and without a doubt, the best breeder.

I used to put a Large White boar over her and although she never produced a white piglet, their shape and growth tended towards the domestic side so that they didn't have the broad shoulders and narrow hips of their mother.

Taste-wise, as Marcia says, they weren't as bland as domestic pork, definately a "fuller" flavour and had a darker meat and they were fed exactly the same as the domestic pigs. At that time I was rearing everything through and selling them as porkers and the demand for her porkers outweighed the supply.

If you get hold of a wild pig, give it a go. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

10. Mike in Pa

Thanks a lot for the informative responses. The only problem is ... I CAN'T FIND ONE!! I can't even get ahold of domestic ones fairly local!! I've tried places from Sugarcreek, OH to Harrisburg, Pa and can't find anyone. I'd like a wild one or 2 and a couple domestic ones but at least a few domestic ones.

11. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I am using a new tower so I don't have the bookmark right now but google wild pigs for sale and you'll find a classified called bay dogs (might be baydogs.com or hogdogs.com) and you can find quite a few trappers in the southern states. In the north you will have to go through a hunting lodge - they trap piglets and castrate males. You might be able to buy a couple directly). Spring will be better up north. Keep domestics and wild pigs separated initially. If you only have one pen you will have to decide on one or the other as the domestics might die from diseases the wild ones are immune to. I am selling three adult wild sows right now very cheaply since I am currently unemployed, wish you were closer. Good luck :)

12. Mike in Pa

Wish I were closer too! Thanks again. I tried 4-5 preserves from our area that has boar "hunts". Only one replied and won't sell any. I tried "texas-boars.com but nothing. I emailed several state commissions about nuisance hog trappings. 2 answered. One said the have no "nuisance" hogs because they hunt them. I replied that ws riduculous. Texas hunts them and have a lot of problems. If she would talk to landowners they would have a different take on it. The other said they trap often but won't sell/give to individuals to keep.

13. rudedog

rudedog New Member

I might be willing to trap a hog or two for you. Typically I just hunt them, but I have been more and more interested in trapping them. I am in Texas and I have no idea of how or what paperwork is needed to send one. If you do the research and pay for shipping, etc. I don't see why it would be a problem, provided you know they obviously can be dangerous and sign some sort of liability waiver for me. I'll check this thread for the next week or two for your response.