Raising wild hogs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by tbishop, Nov 25, 2004.

1. tbishop

tbishop Well-Known Member

Hello!

I'm new to the board. I originally was searching for more information on raising wild hogs. I had read a very informative article about it in Countryside magazine, but I was left with a few questions. My main one is as follows- what do you do to test for and prevent the more common disease that may be carried by hogs? I know psuedo-rabies is a big concern. Is there anyway to determine if the hogs you use are healthy? Thanks!!!

Tim

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Hi Tim, I think you may be referring to my article in Countryside Magazine in the September/October issue. I started raising domestic hogs but found them too much all around. I've kept wild hogs for two years now and they are much smaller and much easier to manage. You want to have your stock tested for brucellosis and pseudo rabies. These are two common tests a vet can do for you. In some states, Florida for instance, the tests are required by law when transferring all swine not destined for butchering. Once you start with a negative pair (or more) keep feral and wild hogs away from your property and vaccinate your stock for the diseases that can be vaccinated for. Follow quaratine procedures before introducing any further stock. I routinely introduce trapped wild piglets and have three pens to quarantine- none are near my sow and boar pen. I vaccinate my sounder (all female herd) with farrowsure vaccine every year and this year I'm introducing the flu shot also because I live in the middle of wild hog country and the disease potential here is as close as my fenceline. Here in my county, we are part of oral brucellosis vaccine testing which shows promise. I'm not sure about pseudorabies vaccines. Sure would love to talk wild hog with you :) these guys are absolutely the best in every possible way.

3. tbishop

I live in northeastern Minnesota. The closest place with a feral pig population is Southwestern Wisconsin. Apparently a guy that was raising Russian boars let some loose by accident or on purpose, depending on the person telling the story. The one's that people are hunting are coming in at 60lbs or so, so they aren't just the huge Russians.

I'm working on getting a space to raise them in. Then next spring I want to go down there and get some with livetraps that I'm going to build and bait. I have a friend that's a bowhunter, so we may be able to get something going together.

My goal would be to trap 2 to 3 females and 1 male, all under one year of age (aprox of course.) It's a six hour drive down there, so I wouldn't want to go more than once a year. It sounds as if I want to get them tested in the county I trap them in before I transport them up here. It'll be a process, but I think it'd be fun.

I'm also trying to locate a game preserve for the boar like you mentioned in your article. Most of them up this way are bird farms, but I'm sure if I get out to the Dakotas, I'd be able to find someone who'd be interested. I'm in the very beginning stages of this, so anything you can think of would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Tim

PS- The one thing I have in my favor is that there aren't any feral hogs down here, so I don't have to worry about disease transfer from that source. Thanks for all the help!!!

4. tbishop

Marcia-
    Do you use any kind of special trap and/or bait to catch your new stock? I'm looking at traps using cattle panels and wire and a springloaded door. I'd like to hear how you go about that part of it. Thanks!!

Tim

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Hi Tim,
    I pay trappers and lodge managers for exceptional stock and have no idea what they use as bait. I imagine cracked corn is as good a bait as anything else. The traps are panel traps as you describe and I've seen several sizes. Lately the prices are going up :( I've seen hybrids for $600 this year. I started paying $10 each and offer $50 right now but these are unweaned. It is a good idea to start with little ones. You can pan feed them and they will get used to you and your property. Mine run around loose and never wander away. In fact they come to the house to find me :rolleyes: Starting with adults will be trickier. The boars will charge you. The ideal age is 4-5 weeks unless you want to start with younger which are riskier. I start as early as I can get them- 3 days for this last batch. You can advertise for free for piglets. Don't know if you'll get lucky but it is worth a shot.
    http://www.baydog.com/classifiedfeature.htm

6. wingnut4

wingnut4 New Member

7. tbishop

Thanks you guys. That really helps. It's gonna be much more of a process than I realized. I wonder if I'd be better going someplace where they raise them and buying a few newborns. I'll keep planning things though, as I have the number of the game warden down there too. Anyway, thanks!!

Tim