Raising turkey for Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by Oregon1986, Feb 12, 2018 at 3:24 PM.

1. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

I want to buy a chick and butcher it this fall for Thanksgiving. What is the best feed combo to get it to grow fast and plump?

2. hiddensprings

hiddensprings Well-Known Member

It depends on the breed as well. Heritage breeds grow slower and don’t tend to plump up as much as the big white ones or the bronze breasted. I raise the bronze breasted. I get the chicks the end of June beginning of July. I get them out on pasture as soon as they feather-out and they get free choice feed and water. Mine are ready for processing the week of thanksgiving and yummm, they taste real good. I just feed a Grower feed that I get at my feed store.

Oregon1986 likes this.

3. Oregon1986

Awesome thank you

4. oneraddad

oneraddad Non-Known Member

The big breasted turkeys cost a fortune if you wait till Thanksgiving to butcher them

5. Oregon1986

In feed?

6. oneraddad

oneraddad Non-Known Member

Yes, I've spent up to $75 a bird but they did weigh around 40lbs when butchered. I've never ordered them so they come later in the year, only bought them from the feed store when they get them in the spring

7. Oregon1986

Wow spendy bird

8. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

I don't know how the stores sell turkeys for less than $1 a pound. Some that go on sale will be like 50 cents a pound or less.

9. rxkeith

rxkeith Well-Known Member

we raised four turkeys this past year.
    we got them end of june, broad breasted bronze.
    we fed them organic game bird starter, one 50lb bag of that, special order then switched to
    a game bird grower mix, 23% protein. they are ready to go to freezer camp at about 16 weeks of age.
    if you want them bigger, feed them longer. you can use a broiler mix too, they just won't grow as fast which is ok too.
    i had them in a chicken tractor that i use for raising cornish cross chickens until they got too big then i moved them to
    the chicken coop. they get along fine together. no disease issues where i'm at. the turkeys liked grazing.

someone else i know that had turkeys said he fed them the same feed he gave his chickens. i don't know how long he had them, but they were 30 to 40lbs when he whacked them. they wouldn't fit in the oven whole, they had to cut them up.

we might have bought five bags of feed to get them to 16 weeks. we fed them organic feed, figure about $35.00 for a 50lb bag. our cost per bird was around $45.00 roughly. your cost will be lower with conventional feed, and if you let them graze.

keith

10. Alder

Alder Well-Known Member

I'd go with the regular broad-breasted whites for first time out. Dark feathers don't make for as clean-looking a carcass (maybe personal preference), they grow amazingly fast, and the poults are cheaper. For sure, don't raise just one! It won't do well without other turkeys.

Watch your timing, or they will get big too fast and you will have 40 lbers by November. Figure 4-5 months tops. Turkeys need high pro. Feed them turkey grower or game bird feed.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 9:58 AM