Homesteading Forum banner

raising to butchering weight

18K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  germanbini 
#1 ·
how long does it take to raise a rabbit to a suitable weight for butchering? whats the best breed for fastest weight gain?.........mink

#3 ·
It all depends on what you consider suitable weight :) Some people want smaller carcasses while others prefer larger.

I have read that the New Zealand White (and NZW/Californian crosses in particular) grow the fastest. 4.5 lbs seems to be the average weight for slaughter, and these rabbits tend to reach this magic number around 8 weeks or so when fed an optimal diet of good quality pellets. We raise Rex rabbits, and they hit the 4.5 lb mark around 10 weeks or so when raised on pellets.

#6 ·
Around 6 months is generally accepted as the age of maturity, although the animal may still do some "filling out."

Monsoon is absolutely right. In our rex, at around 10-14 weeks growth slows down, but the food consumption doesn't. So, when I keep them beyond this time, I am in effect spending the same amount of money in feed but getting less growth. I may get a bigger rabbit in the end, but those last few pounds cost a lot more to put on than the first several.

#7 ·
The commercial goal is to have a five pound fryer by 10 weeks old. This should translate to a net carcass of two and a half pounds after dressing out.

As mentioned in other replies, after 10 weeks, the growth rate per pound of feed drops off, so it becomes more costly to feed them as they grow.

It also becomes harder to butcher them, harder to skin them, the meat is less tender, and more fat tends to develop after the 10 week mark. In other countries, they do prefer an older rabbit that you get when you raise them for fur to 20 or 24 weeks, those are called roasters.

This five pound by 10 weeks rule is so ingrained that the ARBA has a contest for raising "meat pen" rabbits where two of the major rules is a maximum weight of 5 lbs and maximum age of 70 days. So thousands of 4H and FFA livestock raisers have grown up with this rule.

And it's a good rule based on decades of experience in raising rabbits.

Other things to consider about rabbit breeds is what do you want to keep on your homestead? I mean some people don't like rabbits with red eyes. Or they think white rabbits are boring. They want some color in the hutches.

Or they want to be able to use the fur/wool of the rabbits like Rex fur or Angora wool. You can eat Angora rabbits, but I don't recommend them for strictly meat rabbits.

I have an article on my web page with tips for raising meat pen rabbits, and it includes a chart of "meat sized" rabbit breeds.
http://www.rabbitgeek.com/meatpennotes.html

I hope this info helps.
Have a good day!
Franco Rios

#9 ·
I have an article on my web page with tips for raising meat pen rabbits, and it includes a chart of "meat sized" rabbit breeds.
http://www.rabbitgeek.com/meatpennotes.html
I realize this is a 12 year old post and a 13 year old article, but I found this through a Google search. For anyone in the future trying to read the information, unfortunately the domain for rabbitgeek.com is apparently gone. HOWEVER, I found the article 'Meat Pen Notes' by using the "Wayback Machine Internet Archive." Here's the link to use: Rabbit Meat Pen Notes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.