Raising silk-worms

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by silosounds, Oct 30, 2005.

1. silosounds

silosounds Well-Known Member

We live in Ks. and was wondering if silkworms do well here? we have tons of mulberry trees and room to plant more. Has anyone out there tried this and is there money to be made on a small scale? Does anyone Know were to get them to start with.

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

The reason we have mulberry trees in the U S is folks tried about 100 years ago or longer to raise silk worms. I know you get the color of the silk based on the type of Mulberry tree the worms feed on. Hence white silk from white Mulberry trees. Other than that I have idea..

3. Hovey Hollow

Hovey Hollow formerly hovey1716

We have looked at raising silkworms for reptile food. Check out www.mulberryfarms.com to order eggs, or small larvae. There is probably a bigger market in the US for silkworms for reptile food than there is for silk. I would think it would be difficult for a small producer to raise enough for silk to be profitable, but chameleon fanciers will pay well for food for their critters. Silkworms are one of the most nutritious live foods available. Problem is mulberry trees are deciduous, so what to do in the winter? Silkworms can be transitioned from dehydrated mulberry, (available from Mulberry farms, to fresh, but not quite so easy to do in reverse)

4. Farmer K

Farmer K Homesteader-@-Heart