Raising For Sale

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Carol K, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

Having raised 2 pigs a year for ourselves for the last 4 or 5 years, last year I was asked to raise one for someone else, but said no as I couldn't locate more piglets. Soooo, this year i think I'm gonna do it. I was thinking of getting a $50 deposit then $150 at finish. I'll offer delivery to butcher and processing is up to the buyer. Husband works with about 600 people and I think I could sell a couple like that. I will make a flyer and will raise with no hormones or anti biotics etc.Am I missing anythig? Is that an ok price? I'm not sure what the going rate would be, I'm in NY, so if anyone else does this could they give me an idea of their prices, thanks.

Carol K

2. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

We sell ours for $2.25 per lb, hanging weight. Customer pays for all processing. We deliver to their homes if requested at no charge.

We have the locker give us blank cut sheets and we deliver those to customers to be filled out. We then collect them and return them to locker.

This makes a nice revenue stream for our place.

We do not collect a deposit as we are selling to existing customers and referrels. You may wish to with strangers.

The biggest cost is feed. If you see feed on the ground around the feeder, you are losing at least 15% of it.

3. Carol K

Hmmm, guess that puts me as underpriced, but is that an area difference do you think? thanks Trav. any others out there that can offer price guidelines?

Carol

4. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

A fellow close by sells his for $350 live weight about 200lbs. He takes them to the abbitior and they process the pig to the buyers specs, the buyer then pays the abbitior their price per pound for processing($30 for kill gut and dehair and 40 cents/lb cut wrap and freeze). He dosen't free range at all, and feeds them only grower formula and garbage. They are kept in a shed their whole life. I will be charging slightly more for mine, and they will be grass and organically fed with no growth hormones or antibiotics used for disease control.

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Hog farmers are selling them for about 55 cents a pound live weight delivered to the slaughter house. They make a good profit at that price.
    Carol, you should do well at your price, but if someone thinks it's worth more than that don't be afraid to charge them more.

6. Carol K

Thanks to you all, I will advertise and see how it goes. I'm kind of excited to try this adventure, I've just concentrated on providing for the family and am now ready to branch out, slowly though :)

Carol K

7. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

I was selling mine at 1.25/lb hang weight plus process ... incl. delivery to processor. A friend sells at 1.35/lb for same. Mine are chem free too. I will charge 1.35 this time around.

8. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Yes Carol advertise, if you are raising organically and humainly, emphasize that fact, people who know that the meat is better tasting, healthier, and raised in a humain way, are willing to pay a premium. Its not like its cheap or easy to do it this way and most understand those facts. In addition advertise at least 2 months before buying any piglets, it gives you the time to aquire the right buyers.

9. LuckyGRanch

LuckyGRanch Well-Known Member

Carol -

I would charge a little more. You can always lower the price but, it's much more difficult to go up. If you're raising just a few and they have the grass on their feet and sunshine on their snouts....that's worth a pretty sum. Happy pigs really do taste a lot better!

Don't sell yourself short. Start with a higher price and sell for less if you think it's higher than it should be. Everyone loves a sale!

Yummmmmm.....guess what I'm pulling out of the freezer for dinner tonight?!

Beth

10. Paul O

Paul O Well-Known Member

$2.25/# hanging weight...wow. If you can get it, more power to you.

11. mvfarms91

mvfarms91 Well-Known Member

not to highjack this thread but last week i was at the stockyards and 3 hogs went for sale . they were between 235 and 255 lbs. They sold for around $50.00 a piece. That seemed like a great price but i was too slow to bid and lost out. for future reference: was that a good price? and is it better to buy boys or girls for butchering?

Thanks
    Susie

12. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

Market goes up and down ... but you can't beat that from a local farmer. I like to know who is raising them though. that's why I think some will pay more from locals. That's why I do my own ... best pork you can get.

13. Steve L.

Steve L. Well-Known Member

Posted by mvfarms91 - Today at 01:09 PM

"they were between 235 and 255 lbs. They sold for around $50.00 a piece."

Are you sure that the price wasn't $50 a hundred weight? That would more in line with what I understand pig prices to be today.

Butcher Hogs
    1-19-05
    255 head sold.
    Trend
    Butcher Hogs were $2 lower.
    1's and 2's - 230 lbs to 260 lbs - $52.00 to $52.50
    2's and 3's - 230 lbs to 260 lbs - $51.50 to $52.00
    2's and 3's - 260 lbs to 280 lbs - $51.00 to $52.00
    3's and 4's - 280 lbs to 300 lbs - $49.00 to $51.00
    3's and 4's - 300lbs and up - $43.00 to $49.

14. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Staff Member Supporter

We're in Vermont and I get $350 for our pastured pigs at 200 to 225 lbs finish weight delivered to the butcher. No animal byproducts, hormones, anti-biotic feeds, etc, etc. All natural as they get. :) In the summer they are out on the pastures, in the deep snows of Winter they go into the garden corrals. We feed primarily pasture, hay (Winter), some bread, milk, garden extras and a little swine feed. Pumkin's in the Fall.

We offer prepayment, a payment plan of $50 per month or full payment at the end. That last option is risky for the customer as we aren't likely to have many (or any) unsold ones. Our last three litters were quickly sold out so people tend to reserve in advance. I've already got orders for half the ones I expect in April's litter.

I have two wholesalers and a restaurant who offer us $200 to $260 per finished hog. They say they'll take as many as we can produce. They want them raise a little larger (250 lbs). So far I've not had any extras to send their way but it is good to know the market exists if we produce more than we can sell directly.

We also sell the piglets at weaning for people who want to raise the pigs themselves. Price varies with the season from $50 to $75 for piglets. I end up turning people away on the piglets as I have to hold some back for raising. We hope to have more supply in the future with the five new gilts we're bringing up now. They just had their first heat.

I would suggest you consider upping your price, especially since you're offering a premium product.

Cheers,

Walter Jeffries
    Sugar Mtn Farm
    in Vermont
    Livestock Dog Pups Available: http://SugarMtnFarm.com/pups/
    Vermont Cape House & Land: http://hollygraphicart.com/vermontcape/

15. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

We've been getting $200 a hog, buyer pays processing. We're upping it to $300 with the next go 'round.

16. djuhnke

djuhnke Well-Known Member

We're planning on doing between $250-300 per pig (figure at 150lbs dressed thats $2 a pound) and I would include the butchering (found a place for .35 per pound hanging weight) for their money.

Dan

17. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

I charge $3.25/lb. hanging for organic, milk fed pork. (proccessing included) With the price of organic corn over $300./ton, I'm not making any money.

18. mink

mink Well-Known Member

canadian meat market is $1.30 this week .thats cut and wrapped so if you can get 2 bucks a pound hanging , plus cut and wrap your getting a premium price.

19. GRHE

GRHE Mountain Ogre

We went quite a bit higher than your price, we were also around 2.25/lb hanging weight last year plus processing fees, but a lot depends on location too. We also did ours as fall animals, harvesting in Feb. last year. If you have a heavy supply of farmers around you just are not going to get those prices. We actually had a lot of interest, but so many out here can't handle a half or whole hog, and without a processor's license we could not part them out.

20. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

the ones im raising i am getting 120.00 each , live buyer handles hauling to processor of thier choice, since we butcher our own on the farm
    yeah i know its cheap , but i mainly am selling the 2 to pay for the cost of feeding all four, and these two were sold to friends, i am considering doing contract raising next time, maybe raise 4 on contract and 1 for us, im not sure, will see how it goes, i need to add all my feed reciepts up , and guesstimate value of the leftovers and milk they get ... to see if i am breaking even , making a profit, or going broke :D
    Beth