Raising a pig

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by ThriftyMa, Dec 15, 2005.

1. ThriftyMa

ThriftyMa Active Member

I live on one acre. Would it be possible to raise a pig in a big outside dog cage. With rings in its nose so that it doesnt dig out? I would keep it uder a shade tree. I would like to raise my own hams. Trying to make a farm out of my little land.

2. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

get two for company,8x12 would wook just fine

3. ThriftyMa

ThriftyMa Active Member

I'm going to do it. the paper work for were we live says that I can't have anything that isnt contained. As long as they dont get out I should be fine. Next time I go to buy rabbit feed I will ask the guys about who to buy a pig or 2 from. Does it matter what kind I buy?

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

For my own use in this situation I would prefer to have a yorkshire gilt. In a contained environment they grow fast and the gilts will be leaner.

5. ThriftyMa

ThriftyMa Active Member

Thanks that will be easy to remember I have yorkshire terriers and need a yorkshire guilt

6. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

Yes...a yorkshire gilt would be best. You won't need two though. Pigs do just fine on their own. A shelter, fresh water and plenty of good quality food and your hams will be ready in 5-6 months or whenever you think they're big enough! Not sure how big your enclosure is, but don't forget that you will have a 200 pound pig by the end of the process.

7. ThriftyMa

ThriftyMa Active Member

I was going to buy some cattle panels and make a big cage with 4 of them. Think that would be big enough? lol hmmmm sounds like it would quickly grow of a large igloo dog house.. I Wondering if they could be litter box trained

8. John Schneider

Well...they certainly can be litter trained! It's just that one dump would come close to filling it when they get bigger!LOL

If you are building a pen anyways, just set it up so that they can't root under it. I bury 2x6 flush with the ground at my gates (which aren't electrified) They will automatically root along the fences for some reason. Since you aren't building a huge pen, I would consider installing some treated (or preferrably cedar) lumber along the bottoms of your fencing or panels. That way you won't have to bother with the rings in the nose. Allow for plenty of straw in the pen and they will pick a spot to dung and a spot to sleep etc. Hopefully you build it big enough that it is humane and comfortable for them anyways. Put a shelter in one end, a feeder/waterer in a corner and they will pick the other corner for pooping. Then from time to time you can simply add more straw. When piggy goes to market, you can shovel/fork your composted manure/straw onto your garden for homemade fertilizer & soil builder.

9. ThriftyMa

ThriftyMa Active Member

I think I treat all my animals very humane.

I was thinking of a aframe thingy for shelter I have a small swimming pool that I was going to use for a swimming hole for it. I kind of wanted the pen so I could Just pull it to a new place every so often so it would have a clean cage. My step brothers brother n law had a big pig farm.... STINKY I was trying to figure out how to keep the cage clean the litter box thing would be easy. Shovel and garbage bag or bury it. Why would anyone build a cage that would be uncomfortable and unhumane?

My rabbits have a big run to play in(for just 2) They act like dogs come to the cage to be petted there not too crazy about being picked up any more. I move it every few days so they have fresh grass to eat(I have to rake it before I move it but my grass is still nice and green)They like romaine lettuce, love cauliflower and broccoli,apples and pears

My dogs live in the house but have a big area that they go out weather permiting. I drive to the next state to buy there dog food. They only sell carp dog food around here.

10. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

A pig given a chance is rather clean in reference to the manure. They will use the same place as a toilet each time. When you first get the animal, shovel the manure to where you want them to use the facility and that will be designated by them. You can remove the solid manure and if the area has some sun in the toilet area the urine will evaporate creating a less smelly toilet. Adding some lime to the area will benefit also. You will need to secure the panels to the ground or the pig will lift the pen and get out. Hogs do not sweat so you will need to provide shade during hot weather. Not sweating is why they wallow in mud in order to get evaporation for cooling themselves. Enjoy the venture!

11. catahoula

catahoula Well-Known Member

If I might add. We raised a couple of pigs, I'm not sure what kind they were, white with upright ears. When we first got them they were wormy and boogery probably about twenty pounds. They say you should always get two pigs because they compete for food and grow faster but the truth is you get two so that they can scheme. Pigs are pure muscle from snout to tail, I've never seen anything so destructive. I contained them with two hot wires six inches off the ground and six inches apart. Outside of the wires I ran some two foot hog wire that we had laying around. I had to kick them out of the barn. I came out one morning to discover that they had rooted up the floorboards and were about two minutes from going through the wall. As for pooping whoa now there's a stink, once I got them wormed the poop was a little less greasy, but still pretty nasty. Our pigs weren't all that proud, the only place they wouldn't poop was in the food trough, I shoveled poop every day. Pigs are a kick in the pants, I spent quite a bit of time sitting on a bucket, watching them play and root up worms, they grow fast too. Tasty, we butchered ours at about twohundred pounds, I had no idea pork chops could taste that good. You are going to love your pigs, I can see why some people keep them as pets. Good luck.

12. ihedrick

ihedrick Can't stop thinkin'

I don't practice it, but I've heard of keeping a pig in a very small pen so they can't move around burning calories. Mine don't have acres to run around but they certainly have room to run and kick up their heels if they want!
    As far as poo places; some of mine would poo all over and others would pee in their water trough! That's why I am gonna switch to one of those water nipples for the next batch I raise.

13. John Schneider

ThriftyMa..."who would build a pen that was inhumane"? 99% of the pigs in N. America are raised in pens that are inhumane! Have you ever heard of a gestation crate? The sow is not able to even turn around. She can only move backwards 2 feet to defficate and ahead two feet to eat and lie down...all of this for weeks or months on end. She would have up to 2.5 litters per year too! The rest of the pigs are kept in overcrowded concrete pens without fresh air or sunlight...inundated with anti-biotics and food additives so that they can stay alive long enough to get to market. I've seen outdoor operations too where the hogs live their entire lives in feces-polluted mud up to their shoulders without straw for bedding or even a shelter....didn't mean to imply that you would be inhumane, but there does seem to be a great divergence in agreement of the definition of the term 'inhumane'. I am sure that your hog will have a good home as do the rest of your animals.