raised Chicken coops?

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by farminghandyman, Apr 15, 2018 at 7:08 PM.

1. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

I see these backyard plans for chicken coops, and many are up off the ground,
    with a foot to 18" of space under them,

I see that many have a pen built in the system, is the raised coop for utilizing the space under the coop for run area?

or is there another reason for it,

in all my years of having chickens and my parents, we just utilised a building and most of the time either a dirt or concrete floor,
    the old brooder house had a wood floor, which was replaced with concrete,

the only other reason I can see is to put a wire screen floor in it so wast drops through it, and under the coop.

any other known reasons?

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

It's often done to help stop predators, and on smaller coops it keeps one from having to bend over as far to get the eggs.

3. arnie

arnie Well-Known Member Supporter

rats love wooden floors close to the ground .

aart likes this.
  4. wdcutrsdaughter

wdcutrsdaughter Well-Known Member

I was also under the impression it was to help deter predators - but this is confusing to me because predators can climb....
    Ours is off the ground too. It was here when we bought the place.

5. hiddensprings

hiddensprings Well-Known Member

My coop is raised about 18 inches off the ground. When we built it, I did it for two reasons: 1st: Predator control. 2nd: when the girls need some shade, they can get under the coop area. Mine girls are totally fenced in (even from above) because we have so many predators where we live.

6. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

My 8x14 main coop is up off the dirt maybe a foot or so. I wanted to use a wood floor instead of dirt---a place to start young chicks and allow them to grow to layers. It is fenced in under it with 1/2" hardware cloth all the way around Because I do Not want my hens under it----if they make a nest under it---I would have a time getting the eggs out or if I was trying to catch one it could go under it----etc, etc, etc. No chickens allowed under it.

7. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

It's harder for them to get in from underneath while having to climb versus just digging under a wall.

A floor closer to ground level is perfect habitat for rodents and snakes whereas an open area underneath is usable space for the birds.

wdcutrsdaughter likes this.
  8. aart

aart HOW do they DO that?

Agrees....raised coop floor good to keep predators/rodents from making a home under there, IF it's raised a good couple feet-in case you have to go under to grab a sick or broody bird or eggs. I built my coop in a large existing shed that is raised 18-30". I extended the run partway under(4' not far to crawl) for shade and precipitation protection.

Tho many of the prefabs and plans(based on the prefabs)...well, don't look to those for design savvy, most are crappy layouts for chickens....and definitely don't believe the population claims they make.
    If they say 8 chickens will fit, plan on 4.

9. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

Mine is raised. It is not a walk in coop. Easier to clean, better for deep snow. Provides a cool, shady place. Rats and snakes are not a problem for me.

10. dyrne

dyrne Well-Known Member

I also built a raised coop about 8'x16' but I think if I had it to do over again I would trench and do stone, block or concrete. The advantages of a dirt floor for temperature control and maintenance seem pretty compelling to me. Possibly just a grass is greener effect.. it is true that I haven't had any predator issues in the raised coop but I'm pretty sure my on-ground coop could have been just as secure.