raised beds

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by healing herbals, Jan 17, 2004.

1. healing herbals

healing herbals Pam in OK

I posted under homesteading and realized this may be a better place!!
    what is the best material to build raised beds with, to plant herbs in, and where do I get salvage materials (if that is what you recommend)
    thanks

Pam in OK

2. Browsercat

Browsercat Well-Known Member

I think you will get answers back that show that there is no one 'best' material to build raised beds out of...if you plan on a permanent herb bed spot, you might look into broken concrete chunks stacked up; they age nicely. You could do boards made into boxes; preferably out of cedar so it doesn't rot. You could recycle used bricks and build some mini walls and build your beds up that way...if you tell folks you'll haul you might get concrete chunks for free, but they are heavy and you'll need heavy gloves to move them without tearing up your hands.

3. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

I use guard rail posts or railroad ties.. They are pretty heavy, look rustic, last a vey long time, bugs wont eat it, and if you worry about the creosote you can always line the inside walls with black liner... Ive always used these posts for flower bed. and never had any problems... You can also lay chicken wire down (1 inch or go with rabbit wire) to prevent gophers from digging in :) Wear gloves though a splinter will STING and get all icky unless you are so used to it like me that it doesnt even bother you except for the fact you stuck something in your hand LOL...

4. I asked this very same question a few months ago and never really got a definite answer from anyone. Some people use treated lumber and rail road ties but they are advising against it.

However I got to thinking that when I was still in the constuction type business they had come out with a new product (new to me) called Recycled Plastic Lumber. It is made out of sawdust and recycled plastic. I saw it being used outside for front and back decks. However the product was very expensive if I remember right. But that was a few years ago maybe now it is in more demand and the prices have dropped. So both me and you might consider using RPL for our raised beds. Good luck in your venture!.

I just found a website to check out.

http://p2library.nfesc.navy.mil/p2.Opportunity_Handbook/7_l_A_11.html

5. Well I still don't know what is going on here. I type in the full address and this site cuts it down to a smaller address. I guess you will just have to do a google search on Recycled Plastic Lumber in order to know what I'm talking about.

6. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

Around here for me it's split locust posts, hardest wood I've ever seen. Two of my beds are 12 years old and the logs have not rotted at all.