Homesteading Forum banner

141 - 160 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
9,400 Posts
The definition of a small business isn't clear from some either from the descriptions of them as rich boat buying low ballers.
There are several successful accountants from both sides of my family who will state that a lot, not just some, but a lot of small business owners are making a comparable hourly wage to their management and staff; the difference is they are working all the time, day and night, home and on site.
They carry the debt, the insurance, the overhead and all of the responsibility.
So, when someone comes into their store wanting a job and then responds to them that the starting salary is an insult and they won't work for X, they might also be a little skewed in how they view money.

Many of these small business owners who have been forced to board up their shops and stores have been given PUA of a few hundred bucks a week. That also should be an insult.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I am sure most of you are unaware that the main push for a higher minimum wage is by the unions.

Minimum wage goes up 10 percent they get a 10 percent raise.

Sure, you go from 7.50 an hour, that's a 100 percent raise.

Unions get a commensurate raise.

It isn't about helping people. Its about buying votes.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
There are multiple discussions going on here and it typical of why an issue like this rabbit trails to eternity.
One person complains about a minimum wage to low to survive, can't respond to examples of people who do and changes their argument.
Amazon isn't Katy's Breads & Butters. San Diego isn't Soggy Bottom.
Everyone is hiring but I'm worth more than they pay.
Lots of reasons for paying a higher wage but most are from folks who never ran a successful small business.
Like I said 12 bucks an hour? Cross training in the business world 🌍 is the same as doing for themselves. If you only have one skill you're limited!...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I thought those were the ones that were supposed to be working at Taco Bell for minimum wage?! LOL

I'm sorry. I have too much self-respect to work for a-holes that don't appreciate me and are satisfied with sub-par results because it's cheaper. Sue me. Enjoy trying to get blood from a turnip. :ROFLMAO:
You have so much self respect that you would rather be on the dole because you aren't appreciated enough? Maybe your sense of entitlement is the real problem, not the low minimum wage. People that want to excel will. People that sit and whine about how much they're worth? Not a chance. Here is some news for you. People with marketable skills make money. Try to find a plumber, welder, cabinet maker that doesn't earn a good living. Don't like to work that hard? Lots of white collar jobs make great money. Sounds like you need a new career, a new attitude, or both.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You have so much self respect that you would rather be on the dole because you aren't appreciated enough? Maybe your sense of entitlement is the real problem, not the low minimum wage. People that want to excel will. People that sit and whine about how much they're worth? Not a chance. Here is some news for you. People with marketable skills make money. Try to find a plumber, welder, cabinet maker that doesn't earn a good living. Don't like to work that hard? Lots of white collar jobs make great money. Sounds like you need a new career, a new attitude, or both.
:ROFLMAO: Thanks for the valuable input. I guess you missed the fact that I did get a new career, and now I'm currently working for myself rather than people that don't value me.

People that whine about other people "being entitled" because they don't have any self-respect or value their own time and skills should possibly evaluate their attitude towards their position in the world as well.

More likely, I suspect that if someone offered you a job that you have a lot of experience and skill for at a tremendous pay cut you'd laugh yourself out the door as well, so be kind to that high horse you're on. Don't beat him too hard. ;)

·
Registered
15,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
:ROFLMAO: Thanks for the valuable input. I guess you missed the fact that I did get a new career, and now I'm currently working for myself rather than people that don't value me.

People that whine about other people "being entitled" because they don't have any self-respect or value their own time and skills should possibly evaluate their attitude towards their position in the world as well.

More likely, I suspect that if someone offered you a job that you have a lot of experience and skill for at a tremendous pay cut you'd laugh yourself out the door as well, so be kind to that high horse you're on. Don't beat him too hard. ;)
Yes and no. I was in that boat in 2008. I got offered a high paying job for nothing. I took it and showed them what I was worth and still with the same company. Now one of the biggest paid ones there.

But I did hurt for a bit I will admit. Especially when diesel was 6 bucks a gallon and the job was 40 miles away.

I had as family to feed and bet on myself and that company. It turned out to be a good bet. Worse case was ride it out until I found something better.

·
Premium Member
24,804 Posts
The job offers in my field are APPALLING. People want degrees (sometimes masters degrees!!!) and multiple years of experience with absurdly broad range of skills and they want to pay TWELVE DOLLARS AN HOUR.
I have seen high training and experience requirements for Taco Bell wages in many different industries. Why bother going to college and getting a degree when you can work at a grocery store and make just as much money?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Low starting wages are because that employer has experienced bad starting workers regularly. If you are making minimum wage after working somewhere for any measurable length of time, you are probably still overpaid.

·
Registered
61 Posts

The irony is beautiful. You accuse me of being on a high horse while explaining that you are far too valuable to work for what someone is willing to pay you. Don't talk to people about needing self respect shortly after talking about being an able bodied person that would rather go on welfare than work for a wage he thinks is beneath him.

If someone offered me a job at a tremendous pay cut, I would say no and stay at the job I'm at. But if you are asking if I would take a job at a tremendous pay cut if the only other choice was to become a societal parasite, you're damn right I'd take the job. I just wouldn't stay at it while complaining about not being paid enough. I'd take steps to better my position, as I have in the past, along with millions of other successful people.

I know people right now that are on the band wagon to raise the minimum wage. They cry and moan about not making enough money. So I hand them a business card my brother gave me. He works for a roofing company. They will start anyone, today, at $19 an hour, with regular raises. No experience necessary. Union pay, full benefits. All you have to do is show up and work. You know how many people have taken him up on it? They can't get enough people to work and it's worse than ever because the older guys are leaving and no one wants the jobs because it's hard work. They would rather go on the dole too. Minimum wage is not the problem. People wanting to get paid more money with no commensurate raise in effort or responsibility is the problem.

·
Registered
288 Posts
That is not capitalism.
It is literally what you get with unrestricted capitalism. Yes, it is capitalism in its rawest form.

Low starting wages are because that employer has experienced bad starting workers regularly. If you are making minimum wage after working somewhere for any measurable length of time, you are probably still overpaid.
Load of BS, and you know it.

If an employee is especially bad, they should just be fired. The real reason people are paid minimal wages and never given a raise is simply because the employer can get away with it because they've got the employee by the balls most of the time. Do not pretend it is anything but that.

·
Registered
9,400 Posts
Here is the definition from Merriam-Webster:

Capitalism refers to an economic system in which a society's means of production are held by private individuals or organizations, not the government, and where products, prices, and the distribution of goods are determined mainly by competition in a free market.

You have to understand it before you can debate it.

·
Registered
9,400 Posts
The real reason people are paid minimal wages and never given a raise is simply because the employer can get away with it because they've got the employee by the balls most of the time. Do not pretend it is anything but that.
Or here's a crazy thought- the job requires minimal thought, minimal decision making and minimal effort.

I do enjoy the slant the followers of class envy use to describe a false premise.
They are all rich and thieves, lol.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
It is literally what you get with unrestricted capitalism. Yes, it is capitalism in its rawest form.

Load of BS, and you know it.

If an employee is especially bad, they should just be fired. The real reason people are paid minimal wages and never given a raise is simply because the employer can get away with it because they've got the employee by the balls most of the time. Do not pretend it is anything but that.
There are some excellent online educational opportunities that teach how wages are derived that might be helpful. Or you can hold onto the ideology that you have.

·
Registered
61 Posts

... The real reason people are paid minimal wages and never given a raise is simply because the employer can get away with it because they've got the employee by the balls most of the time. Do not pretend it is anything but that.
In my post before yours, I just explained exactly what a person can do that is earning minimum wage and wants to earn more. The employer doesn't have you by the balls if you can simply go get another higher-paying job. The trades are overflowing with good, high paying jobs that they can't fill because they involve hard work. If you sit in a minimum wage job and "can't" do anything about it, it's because you have a victim mentality, are lazy, are not very bright, or a combination of those things. The world is full of people doing things and becoming successful, and people who have a million reasons they can't do those very same things.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The trades are desperate for warm bodies, and the word "desperate" is an understatement.
Plumbers, electricians, welders, HVAC, etc.
They will pay you while you learn.
You have to show up, turn off your cell phone and sometimes pass a drug test.
Yeah, my brother's roofing company even got rid of the drug test requirement because they are so desperate for people.

·
Premium Member
24,804 Posts
The trades are desperate for warm bodies, and the word "desperate" is an understatement.
Plumbers, electricians, welders, HVAC, etc.
They will pay you while you learn.
You have to show up, turn off your cell phone and sometimes pass a drug test.
Depends on your location. None of those trades make that much money here, even with the training, licensing and experience. Most start at $17 an hour with a few topping out around $30 if you work weird hours, weekends and are on-call most of the time. The benefits provide a bit more compensation than just the base pay.

141 - 160 of 179 Posts