Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this...............There is a farmer here in TN that Sells X number of (pints quarts gal) of next years Strawberries this year

Has anyone tried this what I mean is that I sell a calf today at a price that would be somewhat less (but not much less) than an expected price at 1000 lbs for instance

Calf today is 500 lbs. but individual wants a calf in the spring to slaughter so he buys it for $750 or .75 per expected weight then

he then pays for it to be slaughtered

Thoughts ..........anyone...........

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Why would you want to sell it at today's prices when they could be higher in the spring? Why sell it based on 1000 pounds when that may or may not be the actual weight?

Why lock yourself in when you don't know what might happen to that calf, how well it will grow, health problems it might have, etc.

I've heard of people sharing a calf with another family, more as a way to afford one when the single family could not.

Jena

·
Dutch Highlands Farm
1,642 Posts
My preferred way would be to guarantee a customer a beef for next spring by having him put a deposit on it. No way would I give him a price cut or a guaranteed price as I don't know what my feed costs are going to be as I can't predict the weather. Same with any possible vet bills, supplements, etc, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts