Raindancer, give us an update

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sancraft, Feb 6, 2005.

1. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Did you find anything on your land hunt yesterday?

2. Raindancer

Raindancer Well-Known Member

Thanks for asking, sancraft! Our hunt was interesting, to say the least:)

We dispensed with calling the realtor and decided to just go on our own to check out 7 properties I've been curious about, just to get a feel of location and "lay of the land". I went armed with all the great info everyone shared:) Got a late start, but able to view all on our list of "go-sees".

A few were real pretty, but too far out from family or comfortable commute for DH. A few were in a more ideal area, but too clutterd with neighbors and junk for our liking, and land nothing special.

We did find one cute little place, 5 acres, small mobile home, fenced, 2 sheds, tucked in the pines, but a bit close to the road and still a tad out of our ideal area, but price was right. Didn't have benefit of realtor to view inside or know more...but on the "maybe" list" of checking into further.

Found another, 13 acres, good location, price right. Has "new septic, power pole, mobile just moved off" (according to listing). Walked a bit of it..we really liked land itself. But, weird to have all that land and the mobile was right near the road (could see where it was hooked up), and it would have looked directly across road to a trashily kept other mobile..we we're crazy for that set up There weren't many other homes along that dirt road, but they were pretty decent. If it was ours, we'd definitely have to build somewhere further back and out of view..new septic or not! LOL Guess you can't run LONG septic lines, huh? One thing that creeped me out (disturbing)..when walking toward shed, with door 1/2 open, there was a dead dog in there! Poor thing! I'm hoping he was just looking for shelter from the cold when he died. Wished I had had a shovel, I would have buried him! Nice land, but, prob. too many variables <sigh>.
    Another property, 10 acres, only had road frontage, unimproved, land sloping gently down. Suppose to have big creek on it (saw photo in listing..pretty!) tho didn't see, as didn't walk that one..was getting dark. Will have to check out again.

So, tho we didn't find our "piece of heaven" this go round, it was fun to look, and a good experience to get a feel for what's out there right now and what to look for during our hunts. Not giving up..there's more properties to explore on my list!
    Thanks for your interest, sancraft..(and hope you're coming along with your new place!). And many thanks to all who offered input on my first post about looking at land!

Dee

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

....................More than likely , the reason they Didn't put their mobile in an Ideal spot was because the cost of running electric , back TOO the ideal spot was more than they could afford . fordy.. :eek: :)

4. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

Sancraft...one more suggestion. Drive around your "preferred" area..check out all the back roads and look for unused or abandoned property. The 40 acres we bought was an abandoned farm just being used to graze cattle. The original owner had died and passed it on to his 2 sons. Neither wanted it or used it. Instead just leased it for $100 a year to a local cattleman who overgrazed the land and re-leased it for hunting. We went to the county assessor's office and by checking the location on his map we found the name of the property owners. We contacted the sons and negotiated a price that made all of us happy. If you find a piece of land that looks good to you....just write down the name and/or address off a mailbox closeby. Take it to your county offices and they will help you locate the owner.....this saves both the seller & buyer the added real estate fees :)

Also..in our area of mid-Missouri there are many farm auctions where the farm is sold as one unit....or divided into several parcels if it is a large farm. Usually the only folks really interested in these parcels are the adjoining neighbors...and they don't want to pay too much!

Also...if you buy a county platte map...you will quickly see the intended purpose of many pieces of land that have the innocent look of agriculture. Many times a developer has bought the land...and even named the sub-division that will some day be developed there. Good Luck.....your little piece of heaven is out there waiting for you. ;)

5. Raindancer

Hi BJ.. think you meant to address this to me, Raindancer,..simple error;) Thanks for your input!
    (not sure how to do the quote thing).."We went to the county assessor's office and by checking the location on his map we found the name of the property owners"..
    "If you find a piece of land that looks good to you, just write down the name and/or address off a mailbox closeby. Take it to your county offices and they will help you locate the owner...this saves both the seller & buyer the added real estate fees"..."if you buy a county platte map...you will quickly see the intended purpose of many pieces of land that have the innocent look of agriculture. Many times a developer has bought the land...and even named the sub-division that will some day be developed there."
    All good to know! On one property, I did write the name down that was on mailbox..now I know what to do with it if needed!:) Thanks for sharing!

fordy..
    "More than likely, the reason they didn't put their mobile in an Ideal spot was because the cost of running electric , back TOO the ideal spot was more than they could afford."
    You might very well be right. The 13 acres did have a power pole on property right close, about maybe 100 ft. from old mobile site..but maybe more than could be affordable for them, rather than go further back onto property?

Talked with step son & DDL, who stopped over tonight. They live out in areas we checked out. He (and twin bro.) have currenlty been working as plumber helpers with a plumbing co. (still "rookies' these past 1 1/2 years), but do alot of new home construction work. From his work experience, and also dealing with a friend with new land/mobile, told me in that location, the first 3 (to 5) poles (he wasn't 100% which) and 190 ft between each were free and you pay per ft. there after..also pay for meter box and connection. Does that sound right/reasonable? I know each US region is different. He did mention that the other 10 acres (unimproved) we looked at with pretty creek (down the road from friend and close to them) should have city water..guess that's a plus.

The county we're looking at we've always been driven to since living here the past 17 yr's. when it came time for "us" (empty nesting time). Has been a sweet, quiet, historic area, with mild growth. Now it's touted as the third fastest growing counties (of course! grrr!) and you can see some changes. We love the area, and the many small communities..there's so much land to be had still, but it's being snatched up fast. I know we'll need to make our move in the next few short years (sooner than later, we hope) to stake our claim while the getting is good!

Ain't givin up yet!!;) Thanks for responding, BJ and fordy!

Dee

6. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

keep looking it took us a few years to find our land good luck in your hunt

7. Raindancer

Thanks, mtman:)... not giving up, that's for sure! We've only just begun!! This is becoming the next most exciting part in or lives, full of hopes and dreams (as eveyone here on the list is/has expeienced)..how special is that:) I was about to say we might be old and grey by then, but laughed at myself that I'm mostly there already (Clairol Loving Care wash out color (now and then) won't tell! ) LOL!

Dee