Rain!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by deberosa, Jan 17, 2005.

1. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

I think I should have taken up ark building! It has been pouring here since last night. At noon the peacocks have finally come out of the trees - they are drenched! My roosters' tails are dragging on the ground! They are wading through water (of course NO ONE will go in the barn!!!).

Going to town and expect to see big time flooding here on the peninsula!

Good news is that it warmed up - 50 degrees!

Hope everyone else in this neck of the woods is managing to stay dry!

Debbie

2. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, stayin dry, just freezing to death, -36C (-32F) the other night with colder temps, -45 just west of me!! Wanna trade???......didn't think so :haha:
    Also heard it was -54F in northeasten MN, bbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrr!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

3. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

it was-2 this morning...
    3 days ago it was 60

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Uhmm....that would be Me <----- being at -45.

Look at it this way debbie, You don't have to shovel rain. :haha:

5. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Its a balmy 39 here in Vancouver......Debbie did you guys get that darned freezing rain up there? I had to lock my birds in the barn I was afraid I would have to pop the ice off them....silly birds....

6. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

Pouring up here in Whatcom county too. Saturday it was snowing and the roads were icy, today its almost 50 and we are gonna have to swim out of here.

7. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

We only had freezing slush here Saturday night. Just missed this area I guess!

Rich, might not have to shovel rain, but just got in from clearing gutters - how about a nice cold shower!!!

My birds are drippy, very unhappy. Peacocks finally got out of the tree and moved to the deck!!! They are a sad looking lot. Now the ducks are incredibly happy spashing and playing in their yard! And yes, turkeys are too stupid to get out of the rain! :no:

Meanwhile the mice are high and dry in the nice warm barn with the brand new roof. :rolleyes:

And it is STILL coming down - no let up in sight!

8. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

LOL We still have over 6 inches of snow on the ground here and then as if it's trying to do us in, we got freezing rain all night and this morning, now it's raining just enough to ice us in well. I can't count how many times I pulled up to a stoplight today really slow and still slid into the intersection lol Still have to drive across town to East Wenatchee tonight (about 20 miles from home) hitting 3 highways, and one bridge and then back home. Wish me luck LOL :eek:

9. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Jeez, up here near the border we had freezing rain all day yesterday on top of the 14" of snow already on the ground. Now we've had 2 1/2" of rain on top of the whole mix. The ground is still frozen up here, so there's nowhere for the water to go except for in the barn, house, etc on it's way to the creek. Driving has been an adventure, to say the least.

I expect the goats to be unhappy with anything but sun and dry ground, but even the sheep are miserable right now!

10. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

yah, we're just north of you over on Vancouver Island and saturday afternoon we had freezing rain right on top of the icey roads-turned then into an ice rink.Then it warmed up and the snow is going quickly-but the creeks are overflowing.It's supposed to rain like this all week, too.

11. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

WooHoo made the drive and back safely. It's just one thick sheet of ice everywhere! 20mph at best and a few places where the road tilts to the curb started taking my Ford to the curb too--but of course only the rear end--the front wanted to go into the oncoming lane lol--I'm betting school will be canceled tomorrow, there is a huge hill on each side of the school, all hills drop on to either a highway or a blind corner, no buses will make the stops. :no:

12. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

My hat's off to you for driving in that stuff. Freezing rain is where I flat draw the line. Yesterday I was having a hard time walking to the barn, no way would I have tried that in any vehicle.

13. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

12degrees F 4 days ago it was 71F WE haven't had any snow or ice this winter. I hope we miss the bullet this winter. My hats off to any one living where the weather is so terrible.

14. Jo

Jo Well-Known Member

I'm Central Wa........started to rain but non now, its 20* and we have snow on the ground. Suppose to warm up Wed thur Sun........

15. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

OK its 4:45am and its 55 out there!!! And raining off and on so weird. I went out and got the paper around 4am and could not believe it. Well won't have to worry about frozen bird water now I am going to go build an ark!!!

16. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

LOL Wouldn't have been out in it last night but I either made a night deposit at the bank or bounce the mortgage payment this morning, roads are better today by a bit but almost all the schools shut down for the day :dance:

17. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

3 1/2" of rain yesterday, 1 1/4" of rain so far today... The ground is still mostly frozen from the single digit temps just a couple of days ago.

Crashy, you need some help building that big boat?

18. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

the weather has warmed up so fast, the ground fog from the melting snow is pretty heavy at night too